[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 134 KB, 1200x1200, cintia-dicker-fbf-zambia-2_0jpg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19709525 No.19709525[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I'm 31 years old , 3 times college dropout professional poker player. For last 8 years I've been traveling in SEA and playing poker almost daily, and was loving it until I wasn't. I lost passion for the game and seriously can't continue doing it professionally. I decided to quit. So here is the thing. I believe with all new technology and advancement in medicine we will be able to live for hundreds of years unless you get in car accident or something similar happens. I'm following all anti-aging researches and I'm extremely confident in this. When it's put like that, I think it worth to spend 4-5 years of your life to get well rounded, comprehensive education because it will support you for hundreds of years. On the other hand, most of jobs probably will be automated in near future, and those that are not automated will require coding skills. I definitely see myself coding brain of my slave robot. Basically, I'm thinking about going back to college, but have conflicting thoughts. With bit of research, I found about great books colleges in US, like St.John's college in Annapolis/Santa Fe, Thomas Aquinas college and etc. They look amazing for someone who wants to get comprehensive liberal arts education, but lacking for someone who wants to study computer science. I'm thinking how can I put them together. So there are few options:
1. Go to SJC or some other great books college, finish in 4 years and then study comp science. Will require 7-8 years.
2. Double major in liberal arts and computer science. I know UT Austin and Baylor have great books major so I could do double major at one of them. Or I could do study classics/literature/philosophy and computer science at some other place. I'm not sure If I will get accepted at UT Austin though, because my GPA at last university was around 1.2.
3. Something different? I need your thoughts. Do you know programs similar to great books program at SJC or plan II at UT Austin? Any input would be much appreciated.

>> No.19709531

Now, on top of that I need you advise on money things. I have 840k in savings, so I'm quite in a comfortable situation, but I don't have house, I don't have a car, so it's not a lot. Actually, my two younger brothers have higher net worth than me. So I'm thinking what should I do with that money. I've done my research on current market, and came to conclusion that there is a stock bubble, they are ridiculously overpriced and there is a real estate bubble, homes and land are also overpriced. With all the printing going on, I can't keep dollars obviously. So, for now I'm heavily invested in gold and I have little bit of silver and cryptos too. However, my brothers and my friends are advising me to get share in several small businesses that will bring me 40%-50% yearly ROI. They are saying that it's totally doable, however I'm not sure it is. And I don't know how much time I can dedicate for that. I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

>> No.19709587

long text

>> No.19709601
File: 46 KB, 340x565, Seriously my melanin rich friend.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19709525
>all that text
>348 words + additional post
Bro... stop acting like a woman and go back to school if that's what you want to do.

>> No.19709619

>>19709601
Best writers are men. Also, your post doesn't help.

>> No.19709700

>>19709525
I really like your thread op because you're definitely different and looking ahead on the future but I'm unfortunately I gotta tell you, right now at this moment time we ain't getting no technology for aging or biological aging thing, Not here on earth. This already exist but only the most of the most rich on the galaxy are able to do that, our "aliens overlords", and you know how they do it? well.. They kill 100 humans to be able to get only one shot of this thing that will make them look 20 years younger, literally body restoration.. aah and there's another method but this other method will also kill you, because they can download your brain memory into a chip and put into another body but this method will only save your memory while your real you will die as it doesn't transfer the soul only the memory, so there's only one real method which you wont be able to afford even if you had Teleportation UFO.

>> No.19709712

>>19709619
you're not a writer

>> No.19709715
File: 409 KB, 1200x1260, 4chan+in+a+nutshell_a4055a_7635574.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.19709722

Hey OP, great thread....

Here's my advice:

I love to cum, I'm literally soooo obsessed!

>> No.19709732

>>19709525
Insert penis into vagina

Thats the purpose of life

>> No.19709738

>>19709712
I'm not a writer, but I said best writers are men to pinpoint that your post doesn't make sense.

>> No.19709741

>>19709619
>Best writers are men
And you're not one of them.
>>19709715
Kek.

>> No.19709746

>>19709738
Different dude, guy. Don't you know this board has poster ID?

>> No.19709763

>>19709525
>I definitely see myself coding brain of my slave robot
same buddy

>> No.19709765

>>19709525
Honestly with a 1.2 GPA you’d still even be fucked for SJC.
>useless lib arts major

>> No.19709769

>>19709525
Shove all your money in vanguard 60% stocks 40%bonds. 3 % safe withdrawal rate.

What are you gonna do with the comp sci degree? It's only useful to get a traditional white collar job. Otherwise save your money and spend a year self teaching yourself programming.
Then be self employed, you have your savings as a safety net
That's what I'm doing anyway

>> No.19709772

>>19709525
Trade shitcoins and stay in SEA with cheap rent until you make it. It's that easy. Start by buying ARPA and staking until you're 10x.

>> No.19709787

>>19709732

What is wrong with that lmao

>> No.19709789

>>19709531
>>19709525
You seem all over the place to me. What sticks out is the inability to finish college. Not so much for the degree but how it has affected the rest of your life. Here I'll give an example. You say you are looking at anti aging. But no one really says that but makeup companies. Most people say they are studying longevity research. I bet you don't even know what nano hydroxyapatite is.

You need to focus.

>> No.19709804

Is poker coaching or similar an option nowadays? Could be decent money spinner if you don't really want to play any more. I don't know how viable it is today as haven't really been into online poker for ages

>> No.19709805

>>19709765
Adding to this, follow your dreams though because /biz/ won’t tell you that. Embrace the literary lifestyle and read the whole great books course list it that’s what you want to do. You may not be able to discuss it to the same degree but you will become erudite. As for coding, teach that shit to yourself. You can do it if you have discipline. Education is relative, knowledge is absolute.

>> No.19709816

>>19709789
I dropped out because I was dedicating all my time to poker. I was obsessed with poker, barely attending classes and almost never submitting my homework. I focused on poker for 8+ years, now I want to switch to different things.

>> No.19709818

“Advise” is the new “”loose”

Try advice and lose. If you say “I seen” instead of “I saw”, or “I’ve seen”, you’re a dumb fuck.

>> No.19709826

>>19709525
Do a philosophy degree that will get you well rounded and work on your problem solving/critical thinking skills. Lots of CEOs have philosophy degress.

>> No.19709850

>>19709818
Sorry, English is my 4th language.

>> No.19709863

>>19709850
lol that's some bad language prioritization

>> No.19709963

>>19709700
this is the best advise

>> No.19709986

>>19709525
>>19709738
You really did write a lot of words, anon. Some would say too many. You have enough money to do literally anything, so like follow your heart and shit

>> No.19710354

>>19709525
lol, pathetic pseud
every single one of your opinions is pseud bs

>> No.19710405
File: 113 KB, 683x1024, unscripted.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19709525
There was a reason you rejected your studies and could not complete them.
You realized there was nothing to learn there and that it was very inefficient.
You didn't want to live the life of a wage slave.

You just realized this truth sooner than most of us here, but it doesn't change the fact that it won't change even if you go back.
It will end the same way if you don't have a higher goal to achieve.

You have a special mindset to be able to live from poker for such a long time.
This mindset is similar to the one of successful traders or entrepreneurs.
Try to see if there is something for you there which does not exchange your time for money, and if you can find a goal bigger than yourself.

>> No.19710432

>>19709531
>With all the printing going on, I can't keep dollars obviously. So, for now I'm heavily invested in gold and I have little bit of silver and cryptos too.

Lol. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: the dumb money.

>> No.19710474

>>19709525
what makes you think you will not drop out again?
Studying for several years when you are above 30 is even harder cause your brain loses plasticity and cause you have 1000 thousand other things to think about
It you want to code just learn to code, there is no need for a course, internet is full of material

>> No.19710484

>>19710354
>lol, pathetic pseud
>every single one of your opinions is pseud bs
Take your meds and don't be bitter.

>> No.19710507

>>19710474
>what makes you think you will not drop out again?
>Studying for several years when you are above 30 is even harder cause your brain loses plasticity and cause you have 1000 thousand other things to think about
>It you want to code just learn to code, there is no need for a course, internet is full of material
Well, here is the story how it happened. It's a long story, but I will try to keep it as short as possible. First, I got full ride at one of the best universities in the world, but I fucked up in my second year and failed one of my classes. As a result I lost my scholarship. Couldn't afford it, didn't want to take loan, so I decided to drop out and continue at another college. I applied to several universities, got accepted to one at my home country and started studying there in January. Later in spring and summer other letters from universities started to roll in, I was accepted to couple of them. I wasn't satisfied with education at my university, so I dropped out and went to my 3rd university, this time in Russia. Became obsessed with poker, barely attended classes, never submitted my homework... it continued until it couldn't continue. Well, this time I won't drop out because I don't need scholarship, I have enough money to pay and I'm not obsessed with poker.

>> No.19710573
File: 196 KB, 1200x800, 1580614817201.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Read the books on your own time (unless you want the catholic networking/bonding experience - which could be a viable asset of course) and go study CS full time.
You can get all those books right now thanks to the internet and start immediately. Strive for greatness anon, don't let a lack a degree hold you back.

And while you are at it, read: https://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/11/do-it-now/ and crush that degree in the shortest amount of time possible.

Godpspeed anon.

>> No.19710599

>>19710405
I don't know man. Contrary to you, I think college education is quite efficient, maybe unnecessarily expensive, but efficient in terms of knowledge per time. I don't have a big goal in my life right now, I just want to get well rounded education in literature, politics, economy, philosophy. Improve myself, have some answers for ethical and philosophical questions that bother me. I'm done with poker for good and I see no point in doing trading. So, just weighing my options. It's sad that nobody in this thread have input on liberal arts educations. I hoped that anons would point to more similar programs or showed some alternatives.

>> No.19710641
File: 802 KB, 1024x1024, 1590294252378.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19710599
To chime in on input regarding liberal arts, I studied cultural science and the it mostly consists of reading books and discussing the contents. While this was of course nice for critical thinking (if the others weren't sjw retards - and most were), the most benefical courses out of the whole degree were philosophical debate and the history of memory/learning. Honest truth though, I could have done like 90% of the content on my own time. Then again, going to someplace like St. John's or Thomas Aquinas College sounds like a better place to find actual thinkers.

Have you considered distance learning? I am currently enrolled in Business Informatics and get all the material via postal and have to study on my own time. That way I can focus on my career, while also getting another degree. Dunno if that even is an option for you.

>> No.19710703

>>19710641
I had an Ancient Greek professor who attended St. John’s. He was easily among the most well-read and brilliant people I’ve ever known. Like I said OP, I’m not sure if that’s possible for you with your GPA, but I encourage you to find knowledge however you can.

>> No.19710828

>>19709850
>bragging about polyglotism on a Tibetan basket weaving forum

>> No.19710886

>>19709700
Unironically good advice

>> No.19710897

>>19709769
What's a reputable way to learn coding through the internet? I've heard even freelancers need a bachelor

>> No.19710923

>>19710573
>>19710641
Fantastic read by Steve Pavlina. Last bit about enthusiasm is exactly how I prepare myself for long poker sessions. Enthusiasm and positive mindset are great assets.

I might do the way you suggest. Study CS in Malaysia or Philippines, very cheap here and it's easy to get accepted and do great books on my own. I'm sure I will miss a lot on classroom discussions and writing assignments though.

>> No.19710967

I don't think college will help. You can easily get a job at one of the FAANG organizations. Eg Amazon Flex. It's not a coding job but it's still a tech company

>> No.19711017

>>19710923
Hey bro you might be a mid tier IQ but don’t go full fucking brainlet. Your not going to get miracle longevity drugs that will expand your life by hundreds of years anytime soon (maybe your children will have the chance) so your plans about spending 8 years doing comp sci and liberal arts are for what? Your giving up your freedom and poker money printer to literally pay to wageslave in the future. You can just start learning to code and building things right now without committing to university. Same goes for liberal arts nerd shit Jesus Christ.

>> No.19711040

I love making cum tributes

>> No.19711047

Any time I come look around /biz/ a couple times a year you're all fucking retarded losers giving each other shit advice and shilling shit coins, holy fuck

>> No.19711088

>>19711047
Haha good post my man! How do I give your comment gold???

>> No.19711097

>>19711017
>Hey bro you might be a mid tier IQ but don’t go full fucking brainlet. Your not going to get miracle longevity drugs that will expand your life by hundreds of years anytime soon (maybe your children will have the chance) so your plans about spending 8 years doing comp sci and liberal arts are for what? Your giving up your freedom and poker money printer to literally pay to wageslave in the future. You can just start learning to code and building things right now without committing to university. Same goes for liberal arts nerd shit Jesus Christ.

We are getting miracle drugs in next 20 years, you are just not aware of what's going on in anti-aging research space. Also, I'm a high tier IQ.

>> No.19711099

Currently living in Chiang Mai. People get either get too soft or hard living in SEA. Same situation but lower net- probably time to start having babies. I graduated with a fine art and philosophy major from a decent Uni. Definitely not worth the time.

>> No.19711165

>>19709525
wtf I'm the same age as you but my net worth is only $350k. How can somebody so autistic be worth almost 3x more than me?

>> No.19711185

>>19709772
This is the way. I am in a poor area region but I'm from America so i'm treated like an ABSOLUTE KING. I'm also buying ARPA, I just know i'll make it

>> No.19711196

>>19711097
>Also, I'm a high tier IQ.
and what IQ exactly would that be?

>> No.19711249

>>19709525
Hey anon. You seem to like talking about writers. Let me tell you something. You’re not one. I get the impression from reading your posts that English might not be your first language? You’re mixing up words like “advise” and “advice” etc. Which is common for people such as yourself, for whom English is a second language.

I suggest you learn to code anon. You’re not a writer nor will you ever be.

>> No.19711490

>>19711249
He doesn't have the mind for coding. It takes a certain orderliness of mentality. You cannot be a poker playing dopamine addict. He lost his love for poker because his brain has created a resistance to dopamine like any other coomer after six to ten years of abuse. The reality is that his brain is permenantly damaged. It is not impossible to reform but statistically his chances are 3% or less. As any poker player should know, those are not good odds.

OP, if you are serious I recommend taking a free course of Introduction to Computer Science on edx.org

If you have what it takes you will do a few classes and enjoy the content. My advice to you is to invest your money where you can't easily access it and live in a trailer park where you can indulge your hedonistic mentality until you overdose on drugs, leaving a relative a decent inheritance so that somebody else will have an opportunity to start a business, etc. I say that because I don't believe that you have what it takes to be successful at anything other than failed relationships and failed business ventures, scamming other people and leaving pain and suffering in your wake. You are literally human garbage at this point and you should unironically kill yourself.

>> No.19711529

>>19711490
Damn bro it’s just a card game.
Did a poker-playing uncle finger your butthole when you were eight years old or something?

>> No.19711569
File: 103 KB, 1024x896, 1584221078325m.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19711529
The brain of an addict and the mental skills for solving complex problems that sometimes takes days, weeks, or months of effort are not a good match. You have about the same chance for making it as pic related. Yes, it is that bad.

>> No.19711573

OP PUT A GOOD AMOUNT OF YOUR MONEY IN STA IT’S ABOUT TO MOON.

Get in early OP.

>>19706089
>>19706089
>>19706089

>> No.19711689

>>19711569
Plenty of poker players move on to other ventures successfully. Good examples would be Doug Polk, Vanessa Selbst, Alex Jacob... There is a thread on twoplustwo.com (most popular poker forum) called something like "Quitting poker for living", where a lot of people shared their stories. Not many do coding, most moved to trading, finances, house flipping or business, but some went back to college and got degrees in variety of fields, including computer science. I don't think poker itself hindered their transition in any way. Also, I'm not addicted to anything, including poker and drugs.

>> No.19711754

>>19711490
Fucking kek

>> No.19711793

education is fine but going back to school is not. its a horrid experience for a grown man. they treat you like a number to be eliminated and like you have all the time in the world but not them.

>> No.19711800

>>19709525
gtfo does this look like r9k, ffs we are trying to gamble our savings here

>> No.19711814

>>19711689
>he doesn’t know what an outlier is

>> No.19711819

>>19709715
You win bro

>> No.19711823

>>19711800
Based and checked.

>> No.19711844

>>19709738

> best writers have the same genitals as me
> must mean my blog post on an anime board is equivalent

Okay boomer

>> No.19711871

>>19709738
There are plenty of very good female writers btw. If you had any knowledge of literature you’d know that. Please don’t do arts with that attitude you absolute moron.

>> No.19711888

>>19711871

No. You mean to tell me the writer of the Harry Potter series grossed millions of dollars from her various books and movies? That's weird. Perhaps OP is a faggot?

>> No.19711900

>>19709619
JK Rowling is a woman

>> No.19711910

>>19711888
Not just her but think of one of the best selling authors of all time. Agatha Christie.

>> No.19711919

>>19711900
>>19711888
>>19711871
Take your meds and try to read this thread one more time.

>> No.19711927

>>19711689
Hello OP, just passing by but I took the time to read the whole thread. Apparently you will not get a serious answer that doesn't involve an attempt to demoralize you. If you're really serious about going back to college and it's your only current concern I guess you will figure it out yourself in due time as you seem to be smart. Just don't get trapped in an analysis paralysis by trying to look for the best of the best.

If you just want to amuse yourself then just kys.

>> No.19711931

>>19711919
You say the best authors are men. This is not proveably true. You are retarded.

>> No.19711979

>>19711927
>Hello OP, just passing by but I took the time to read the whole thread. Apparently you will not get a serious answer that doesn't involve an attempt to demoralize you. If you're really serious about going back to college and it's your only current concern I guess you will figure it out yourself in due time as you seem to be smart. Just don't get trapped in an analysis paralysis by trying to look for the best of the best.
Thanks anon, I figured out 4chan won't be very helpful. Just hoped to do some collective brainstorming before locking decision. Didn't get much though. Still, thanks for remaining human.

>> No.19711991

>>19711919

> take your meds
> 34
> posting for life advice on an anime board

Lol ok boomer

>> No.19712110

OP is a homosexual

>> No.19712258

>>19711979
What is your opinion of Kakegurui? Maybe you should try more extreme forms of gambling.

>> No.19712287

>>19711931
Fuck off and go back to Twitter if you want to discuss your retarded femenazi theories

>> No.19712299

>>19709525
If you want to become a coder monkey just do a coding bootcamp. If you have the money why not do this first, then decided if you really want to do this all life. If not you can make easy money doing some coding contracting jobs on the side and study whatever stimulates your brain and your body the most.

>> No.19712334

>be me
>28 y/o burger
>back in college to finish my bachelors in business administration
>25k debt between car note and student loans
>work PT, only make like $400/week
>35k 401k, 13k in Robinhood, 4500 TD Ameritrade
>1 BTC, 8 ETH, 12 LTC, 1000 LINK
>140 oz. silver
>7k USD in checking/savings

I don't want to work and the thought of the next 40 years as a wagie make me just want to kill myself now. I'm too much of a math brainlet for STEM and too onions for physical labor. I had some jobs that would have been high paying but I hated them so the money wasn't worth it to me. Should I just kill myself?

>> No.19712357

>>19709525
Let your money be traded by a pro using TRAM on Coinmetro

>> No.19712383

>>19712287
I swear to god this is the first time I’ve ever been called a femenazi.

I’m literally the other kind of Nazi. But as someone with a degree in the field, I can’t abide falsities such as his comment about female authors.

Being right wing doesn’t mean hating women. I’m not a femenazi for admiring the works of Shelley or Jackson.

>> No.19712518

>>19711814
OP is an outlier. Saving up over 800k playing poker is legit as fuck. Most poker players would blow their money and go broke in that time period, even the profitable poker players

>> No.19712520

>>19711814
aHHHAHhhah

>> No.19712526

>>19712518
he doesnt have a HOME or a CAR
wipe out the majority of that money right away smart guy

>> No.19712534

>>19712518
As an outlier in one regard. Is it then reasonable to expect him to be an outlier in another?

>> No.19712544

>>19709531
USA will be destroyed. Open your eyes and your mind. Most guys with money and alot of knowledge left the states already behind them.

>> No.19712591

>>19712534
I would expect him to be an outlier in terms of being financially independent. OP will manage his bankroll better then 99% of the population and will likely be financially free to pursue what he wants in the future

>> No.19712710

>>19712591
He’ll need to buy a house, car and make some smart investments for that to happen. But obviously I wouldn’t wish him ill will. My only point was he shouldn’t pursue an arts degree as it doesn’t seem to suit him and he especially shouldn’t since he already holds negative views on literature based on what does or doesn’t dangle between the authors legs.

I truly and genuinely hope he invests wisely and makes a bunch of money though. Even a retard deserves as much.

>> No.19713297

>>19710507
>Well, this time I won't drop out because I don't need scholarship, I have enough money to pay and I'm not obsessed with poker.
Hahaha yes you will because those are bullshit reasons. If you couldn't be fucked before you made it, you will not push yourself now that you have absolutely no reason to. College is still shit and retarded and boring and annoying. You'll get to you second assignment of the semester and say "fuck this gay shit" guaranteed.

>> No.19713998
File: 179 KB, 500x522, ciao.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19711979
For me stocks are still a good investment.
Think about Goldmines, stocks at Nikkei or Singapore Stockexchange

Netherlands Stockexchanges are also a safe port to store your money.

If I had 800k already I would put everything in divi stocks, drop out of everything and become a sailor desu

>> No.19714269

>>19709525
You sound like a retard, you might as well just go back to poker and live the rest of your worthless life like every other gambling addicted dumbfuck.

>> No.19714280

>>19709531
>>19709525
go into real estate you shmuck