[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 30 KB, 539x673, 1585195309420.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18501148 No.18501148 [Reply] [Original]

Hello anons,

I would like to get into investing, of all kinds. I want to do something with my money.

Being here makes me feel like a brainlet, though. I don't know what these words mean, and don't know where to find out. I assume a lot of it is contextual. Is there a handy dandy biz dictionary so I can take my time going nice and slow and familiarize myself with these lines and numbers and strange new words?

>> No.18501236

>>18501148
If you want to get in the stock market the /smg/ threads have good resoucers >>18500230

>> No.18501274

if you want to get into crypto, that's a different beast, but I recommend you just lurk a bit more and do your own research

>> No.18501328

>>18501274
>if you want to get into crypto, that's a different beast
and this is my que

OP you only need to do one thing and I'm only telling you this because you posted a cute cat picture. Buy chainlink. it's literally that easy, just buy chainlink and wait, when it's worth ~$15-20 or sometime in Novermber-December sell it

>> No.18501390
File: 197 KB, 900x722, 1585882567510.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18501148
>>18501328
Oh yea, and most anons that actually hold a decent amount of LINK like to shit on newfags for fun to try and keep them out of it altogether, half the board is in on it. do your own research so you don't get shaken out by FUD

>> No.18501457

>>18501328
>>18501390
and to add to this, if you really want to get into crypto, beware that 90% of it are just scams. There are a lot of scammers that come to biz trying to sell you their "next big thing".
BTC, ETH and LINK are probably safe, but try to stay away from anything else.

>> No.18501521

>>18501457
yea pretty much, OP if you lurk long enough you'll see the pattern. Every month there's 1-3 shitcoins that are relentlessly shilled in the catalog (some examples being PNK, FTM, NKN, etc.) all of them are being perpetuated by organized scam discord channels (thus the discord tranny memes)

>> No.18501645
File: 210 KB, 720x540, 1583027920137.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18501521
>>18501457
I work in sales so I'm a megajew with my money and generally avoid noisy shit because the money is there and none of it is for me

I have noticed a lot of back and forth and misinformation here and I'm pretty sure it's the second most perilous board behind /x/

>> No.18501813
File: 504 KB, 1440x959, 1583772641916.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18501645
It's been said hundreds of times but most of the actual discussion happened over a year ago. All of the informative speculation threads with actual numbers, statistics, data, HWNDU level stalking and research took place in 2017 while everything was crashing and nobody was interested in crypto save for the autists who actually enjoy this board and it's mentality.

You won't get any quality information out of anons here because they've told new anons such as yourself the same things hundreds of times, I myself am sort of a latecomer and bought into LINK at $1 and even I don't really respond to new people a whole lot, today is an exception because im incredibly bored and unlike most of the corona newfags you aren't insufferable nor are you being a smug retard so if you have any questions I'll answer them for the next half hour or so to the best of my knowledge anyway

>> No.18501891

>>18501813
Sorry for jumping on, but I'm genuinely curious about the LINK stuff. I can kinda see the value behind BTC and ETH. But even after looking at the stuff about LINK and how it works, I feel retarded that I can't figure out where the value is derived from

>> No.18501927

>>18501813
>>18501891

New like OP, just invested a bit of spare cash into oil today but crypto is a different beast to figure out for me. maybe im just retarded but idk

>> No.18502003

>>18501891
The token's value is going to be derived from a few different factors. The main one is that node operators are going to be paid with LINK tokens, but also the purpose behind the LINK tokens is to be used as collateral in smart contracts. For example if you have a smart contract on an insurance policy worth $5 million you're going to need $5 million worth of LINK tokens as collateral backing the system against potential false data. Not only will the tokens be locked into the nodes that are providing the data taking tokens out of the supply but this means the value of the tokens themselves is directly related to the amount of money needed for collateral. This combined with the fact that Chainlink has a two year first mover advantage onto the market before competitors started showing up in conjunction with the fact that some of the smartest people in the crypto space and large corporate bigwigs are either advising or have a hand in it in some fashion means competition isn't even a concern.

If you believe smart contracts will be an eventuality combined with the fact that only 1 billion Chainlink tokens exist it's simply a matter of waiting

>> No.18502034

>>18501813
I'm mostly wondering what shit stinks and how to identify it.

As a layman I can make a guess as to where things go in the market, but stock prices, crypto and precious metal prices like to do unexpected things. People manipulate the market, and it's all on do many layers it becomes a totally different beast once dissected. What I really want to know is what these layers are. How can people make money by a stock price failing, why things drop when they should rise.

Like oil. Oil recently is confusing. Efforts were made to spike oil but from what I hear (and I'm not sure where to see charts and graphs for a visual representation of various stocks and prices) it got thrown off a cliff. So the conclusion I come to is to be against whatever is noisy, like oil, if it's supposed to rise.

This all came from about half an hour of sifting around and I could be totally wrong.

>> No.18502049

>>18501328
Fuck off. You people are so annoying

>> No.18502103

>>18501891
>>18501927
>>18502003
Ah I also forgot to mention that when you hear people talking about "staking" with LINK they're referring to the ability to invest your LINK tokens into node operators and earn passive amounts from it's use. Essentially you risk your tokens as collateral and based off the amount you risk in the contract you will be paid a portion of it's earnings. Nobody knows the figures for how much you can get through staking but if it's anything significant then you can expect a majority of LINK tokens to not even be on the market in the first place further driving the price. Assuming of course the returns are good, which will vary from different node operators. I believe Linkpool actually has a system up right now where you get paid in LINK tokens for owning LP shares but since it hasn't yet been recognized by the SEC it's illegal to own any if you're a burger like myself. Also I personally would rather just invest in LINK tokens rather than something built off said tokens.

>> No.18502246

>>18502103
That clears a lot up for me, thank you! My knowledge of blockchain is braindead, so I'm sorry if my questions are retarded. Is it worthwhile to own these "new" currencies without actually contributing to their production then? I know for BTC the supply is fixed so mining is pointless, but for LINK and similar crypto is just buying it a viable position? Is staking illegal for the burger or just Linkpool?

>> No.18502275

>>18502034
I can't help you as far as stocks go, I don't even bother since the volatility of crypto is where the money is imo so I never bothered outside of learning the terminology and how the markets work, but as for how to identify the scammers it's pretty easy.

There are a few different methods shitcoin shillers use. Usually they have a main discord of operations where they organize and plan, there's an accumulation phase when the coin is low. Sometimes they'll use wash trading to create fake volume but if you simply check the daily volume you can tell if the price is being manipulated. Smaller groups don't have the financial ability to wash trade so often daily volume won't even be $1M. They'll sit there and create conversation with each other in their own threads often pretending to be someone with genuine questions, sometimes there are actual people. It's probably obvious but the scammers usually only talk about how much money you'll make rather than what's actually happening with the project.

As far as stocks go I do know similar things happen specifically with biomed stocks, and I too invested in oil starting out but the price action was so slow I couldn't take it, felt like I was going to die of old age before I made a 1% return. One thing I can tell you with certainty is that the markets either with crypto, stocks, PMs, etc. None of them operate the way they should, you should abandon the idea most people have of what has value. If it makes any sense the majority of price action is based on the hopes and dreams of man, not the actual value it brings. If the source of money believes something has bottomed out whether it be through meme lines or external factors such as information manipulation the markets will follow their beliefs, they are who buy after all.

>>18502049
If you were capable of reading you would know that's the point. LINK is a scam don't buy any

>> No.18502403

>>18502246
Staking is perfectly legal as it's a function of the token which isn't even a security in the first place so the SEC supposedly has no control over it. It's only the LP tokens because they could be potentially classified as a security since they act more as shares of a company which therefore are paid dividends based off of the success or lack thereof. TL;DR is that only selling LP tokens is technically illegal in burgerland. LINK token staking is perfectly fine

As for buying link that's what most the oldfags on this board have done. Simply buy, hold, and wait. Preferably then you sell after learning how to time the tops or look for major sell signals such as normies buying bitcoin again, or all of the graphics cards missing from the shelves. For now I don't suggest you buy anything other than BTC, ETH, or LINK. Not because other coins are assured scams but rather because a majority of coins you see shilled on this board are scams. Make sure whatever you buy you do your research in because if it's something good usually anons here are more interested in getting you to sell rather than hold.

>> No.18502585

>>18502246
>>18501148
At your leisure anons here are some basic sources of information. The chat with Tom Gonser is specifically what sold me on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ3iy_jYFS4
[Fireside Chat, Tom Gonser, Sergey Nazarov]

https://link.smartcontract.com/whitepaper
[Whitepaper, essential read]

https://www.linkpool.io/
https://market.link/
[Linkpool website and examples of jobs, nodes, etc currently in use]

>>/biz/
[Archive of every thread on /biz/, use this to see previous discussions from years ago]

Good luck anons, hope this helps. Most people hate newfags but I personally believe anyone smart enough to see opportunity deserves at least information sources. When realization hits don't FOMO, you have plenty of time and the general public won't even know LINK exists until it's at $100.

>> No.18502597

>>18502403
Gotcha, thanks. I'm interested in XMR but from what I read it has huge inflationary issues and looking at the charts, doesn't seem like its going anywhere. I know its nefaggish as fuck to keep asking for advice or help, but beyond scanning /biz/ everyday to learn the currents, do you have any thoughts? What I have the most trouble with is looking at the projects themselves and smelling bs in the stats, math, etc. easier to see the shills talking each other up in threads. should I just expect to get burned a few times before I develop the sense?
>>18502275
>I too invested in oil starting out but the price action was so slow I couldn't take it, felt like I was going to die of old age before I made a 1% return

what was the frequency on your trades? don't have enough capital atm to try and lose money day-trading, but im assuming there's some level of strategy to the trades every few days. or is starting in oil just shitty all around, cause thats where most of my money is. was thinking of riding it to fall

>> No.18502638

>>18502585
hard to be genuine here but cheers man, I appreciate all the help you've given. don't want to tax you too much but any recs on the exchanges, should we stay away from normie exchanges or is there value to the big names aside from security

>> No.18502796

>>18501148
Oh look another bagholder

>> No.18502861

>>18502638
>>18502597
I haven't really bothered looking into Monero charts, I know how the coin works specifically ID splitting but that's about it. If you want to know what I do it's really as simple as buy Chainlink and wait. Funny isn't it? That's the beauty of it, all of what said is useless to people in the know and the TLDR has the same simplicity as the shitcoin shillers.

I don't do daytrading and I would advise against it as a whole. The problem with trading in crypto is that it's manipulated. Not even in the traditional sense it's blatantly manipulated. If you margin more than 5X it's a guarantee you'll either lose your money from the markets crabbing while exchanges accumulate, or there will be a short/long squeeze before the pump or dump with the intention of liquidating people who use high leverage. If you stick to things that have been time tested (by that I mean things that have been a topic of conversation for years like ETH, BTC, LINK, XMR, most of the top coins) you don't really have too much to worry about. If you buy any of the flavor of the month shitcoins you WILL lose money, never buy into a pump. Also don't put too much faith in things like TA, there was a time after LINK mainnet where the price dropped from $1.30 to $.85. It would have kept bleeding out all the way to 50 cents where many people predicted the bottom would be but there was an announcement relating to Google Cloud that came out and immediately sent the price to $1.85 in less than an hour, a lot of people lost thousands of link tokens in that hour because the charts looked like they were going down.

As for the oil stocks I wasn't in them for very long. When I first started out it was winter and I thought it would be a big brain move to buy and hold some oil stocks until the end of summer. Put around $400 into one of them and absolutely nothing happened for a couple months. Got bored and put it all into bitcoin at $5K last january instead. [Comment too long, cont.]

>> No.18503149

>>18501328
The money they took from people for the ICO they invested into pajeets shilling this coin on the internet to rais the price. So in essence, linkies are paying pajeets to shill their wallet until the money they initially put in is gone into the pockets of pajeets and the whole shit flops.

>> No.18503276
File: 201 KB, 663x749, 1586442700952.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18503149
You mean the ICO that was 10 cents per token? That ICO? The ICO that if you got in on you would be currently sitting at a 3400% return on?

>> No.18503337

>>18501328
>when it's worth ~$15-20 or sometime in Novermber-December sell it

If this is what everyone's plan is then why would anyone buy it? An asset is worth money because see use in it, not because you can dump the bag on people later.

>> No.18503476

>>18503337
See this is a prime example of why oldfags want nothing to do with people like you and why I enjoy FUDing. If you were here for any amount of time you would know why I said specifically those two points in time. The next pump will likely coincide with the halving and a LINK token will likely be worth that much before the next BTC normie dump. It has nothing to do with the coin's fundamentals and everyone is here at the end of the day to make money, that's why you invest.

If you want to be one of the cucks that tries sticking to morals and holds through another multi year crypto crash be my guest, but I for one will be scooping up cheap BTC and link after selling close to the top of the next run.

>> No.18503544

>>18503276
Thanks pajeets

>> No.18503568

>>18501148
dont trust anyone here its an indian basket weaving forum

>> No.18503700

>>18502861
Thanks mate. I guess it's time to raise sails and go straight into the sandbar, but I appreciate the crash course

>> No.18504864

>>18501148
Invest in prisons, that's a very stable investment