[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 180 KB, 600x620, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17015625 No.17015625 [Reply] [Original]

Give it to me straight, biz. Is cold calling a meme?

I've overcome my anxiety and fear of rejection to an extent, but even with a solid script I can't even consistently make it past the gatekeeper half the time. Should I just invest in leads?

>> No.17015637

Fuck cold calling

>> No.17015645
File: 223 KB, 1000x800, 1543730208491.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I hate my job and I hate cold calling so fucking much holy shit 200 calls a day fucking kill me

>> No.17015681

>>17015645
Thank god I'm not cold calling because of Mr. Goldstein breathing down my neck, but rather because I want to get my services out there.

Still, cold calling is fucking shit.

>> No.17015951

>>17015645
Sucks anon I did 150cold calls a day for 12 months before I fucked off

>> No.17015982

>>17015645
You do know that no one is holding a gun to your head & there are other jobs out there, right?

>> No.17016019
File: 34 KB, 680x591, 307.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>have to shop around for quotes on multimillion dollar projects
>every phone call I make = wagie working all day putting together an estimate on the off chance that his company might make money
>inbox filled with follow up emails asking if they were picked
>[delete]

>> No.17016023

>>17015625
Cold calling is one of the best skills in this world.

Now, let me sell you this FRM.

>> No.17016038

>Give it to me straight, biz. Is cold calling a meme?
I own a small business in a western country and had to do all my sales myself in the beginning and still do it for at least 50% of my time.

>Is it a meme?
I'd say it depends on your industry and the business but it's definitely not. It's actually been the best approach I've had overall sales but the downside is it can be very stressful and time consuming so you need to do it selectively and do it a certain way.

>I've overcome my anxiety and fear of rejection to an extent, but even with a solid script I can't even consistently make it past the gatekeeper half the time. Should I just invest in leads?
>Script
I found scripts do not work at all because they make you sound robotic and not like a genuine person.
Think of it this way, you are essentially trying to socially manipulate your way into speaking to the right person which most companies DO NOT want you speaking to because you are a scummy salesman. No script will work for this and at best will get you the email to reception.

Do a little research of the company and try to find the purchasing managers name or direct contact through google. I found Linkedin to be the best way to find the person you are after within the company since it shows their job titles.

If you know then name of the person you want to speak to then call and ask for that person.
They will either connect you or say they are busy and can't talk so now is the time to get their email and try again later. (You now have their email and name when before you would just have the reception email)
If you get through say you were given that persons details as the best person to speak to about new products bla blah bla, do a little speel. You are basically in now. Send your details and call them later to go in for a meeting.

It sounds like you have your own business so I can give you some tips or opinions. Tell me more about what you are doing exactly.

>> No.17016043

>>17016019
Kek. I used to work this job. Hello construction estimator.

>> No.17016398
File: 43 KB, 689x831, 3aad23fceaf262b0c9023dd689dd8ad3-imagejpeg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I can’t comment on cold calling in regards to finance, but I have worked on roughly half a dozen political campaigns with field offices which had the grunts either do cold calls or traditional door knocking to try and irl data mine voters when they least expect it.

If there is any overlap between politics and finance as far as cold calls are concerned, I can ease some of your anxiety by letting you know that most people who hate you on sight/introduction will do so not because of anything particularly unique about you as a person, but because the field is becoming incredibly crowded with a sizeable number of former middle class Millenials that are primed to devolve into the lower class. As far as I can tell and from what I’ve heard from people higher up the food chain, is that flesh and bone wage slaves are needed to fill these positions again because states across the USA as well as mega tele-coms like Verizon are outright making spam-bots that call or email relentlessly illegal and filtering them out by algorithms designed to destroy the bots on sight.

Tbh I’ve never really considered cold call jobs anything more than a form of seasonal employment, but if you get in with the right company they’re useful for padding your resume.
>inb4 political gigs are useless unrelated garbage, unemployable, blah blah.
That seems to be the consensus from most professors I’ve had assuming you go to uni and follow the education model without picking up a minor or swapping classes when you can for ones that teach something at least mildly employable.
Regardless, you should expect to see more people working in call centers and doing cold calls now that the states and state backed tech-monopolies are prepping for a spam bot shoah. And as far as social anxiety and autism are concerned, cold calling will almost certainly help you develop a thicker skin.

>> No.17016448

>>17015625
I do 300 cold calls a day M-F and make bank. Half of them don't even answer.

Fuck a script, you need to adapt to every conversation you have and learn to hang up on people that fucking suck asap and move on

>> No.17016514

are you a realtor? cold calling works to an extent but I hate it.

>> No.17017702

>>17016448
you sellin hundred dollar bills?

>> No.17017831

>>17017702
for $250 a pop I am sure

>> No.17018187

>>17016043
hi chris.

>> No.17019035

can I do cold calling from home and still be employed by a company to do that from home?

>> No.17020145

can I do cold calling from home and still be employed by a company to do that from home?

>> No.17020487

>>17016398
>>17016038

Anyone have any advice for selling insurance over the phone