[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 942 KB, 2592x1936, 3db252_b0c70ee40a264b1bb169b88a50b38213_mv2_d_2592_1936_s_2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16877781 No.16877781 [Reply] [Original]

anyone ever get into pressure washing, residential or commercial? It's a pretty low overhead and you can make some pretty quick money if you get the right commercial gig. You mostly use bleach and water.Thinking about getting into it with a buddy of mine. He worked for a company that would do industrial stuff that took a few guys 2 days for $25,000 before cost. he did one gig that took them 9 days with 4 guys working 12's, it was a $94,000 contract.

>> No.16878182

2 problems
impossible 2 scale because you cant trust your people to work unsupervised
constant churn and personnel issues. employees showing up high, drunk, not showing up, etc

>> No.16878246

Too busy with my shrimp farm.

>> No.16878277

>>16878182
We're just going to do the jobs ourselves and split the winnings. focus on highly specialized industrial accounts. work 15 hour days for a week or two and then take long breaks. beats wagie-ing. i've done that it sucks

>> No.16878336
File: 19 KB, 391x391, gpTdtZse_400x400.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16878246
Post pics bubba

>> No.16878405

>>16878277
How much does it cost to buy a pressure washer? I already own a van to carry the shit in. But I feel like doing it residentially to learn the ropes would be better. Charging idk something like $300 for a session.

>> No.16878720

>>16878405
depends on what you want to do and how fast you want to do it. you can get entry level commercial grade for a grand. you can do residential with something from home depot for a few hundred, depending on what surface you're cleaning. It's not about the psi but more about the gallons per minutes (gpm). I suggest go and work for a company for a few months and learn how to do it. I just finished that. we where doing residential soft washing on roofs for like $1,300-$3,000 a pop. about 2-4 hour job. depends on your market. I'm in a very high cost of living area

>> No.16878823

>>16878405
you could start off just doing driveways, walkways, patios. Basically all the flat work. That's really easy to do if you use a surface cleaner attachment. cleaning the roof requires a bleach/detergent mix. You never want to pressure wash a roof, you just brush the moss off and apply the bleach mix with a pump and leave it, no rinsing. fuck doing roofs, it's too much of a pain unless you have a nice rig set up for it and some employees. Cleaning the house siding is easy, just apply bleach/detergent mix and then rinse with a medium pressure. pressure washing doesn't require much pressure if you use bleach/detergent. Just make sure you keep all the surrounding plants and stuff wet so you don't bleach anything. you can make residential houses look amazing, like they're freshly painted. you could easily pull 2-3 grand a day doing this alone in my area with the right set up.

>> No.16879043

Wineries do a LOT of pressure cleaning. Fisheries, breweries, etc etc. Anything food/drink and industrial scale do.

I would forget about small fry retail cleaning like housing and go for the big jobs. If you and your friend had scissor lifts each, and a BIG fucking pressure cleaner, you could make bank with a company between yourselves.

A few notes:

Hot water will cut through dirt and grime better than cold water.

Pressure cleaning solids will launch particles into the atmosphere, which you breathe in, fucking up your lungs. Use good respirators.

Good set of goggles.

Hearing protection is a must. Search for "plug fones". They are ear plugs that act as ear buds. I used those and ear muffs over the top.

Prolonged use of a pressure cleaner means that your hands are absorbing a shitload of vibrations.

https://patient.info/bones-joints-muscles/hand-arm-vibration-syndrome-leaflet

God bless.

>> No.16880116

>>16879043
yes, exactly. My buddy worked for someone else doing large industrial/commercial for 10 years and made the guy a multi millionaire, while getting paid garbage himself. That's why he wants to strike out on his own. Lucky for me he's an expert at this shit so I just need to throw down some money, help him with the labor and do sales, marketing, web dev, etc side of things. We're just looking to do big commercial gigs like you've described, just the two of us, even if we have to work a month straight at 14 hours a day. A few good contracts a year and we're making bank with a lot of time off. He's really good at this stuff so we're looking to do really niche & big industrial jobs at the highest quality possible. We will only focus on one job at a time and just bust ass. We'll do a way better job then some large company sending juan and alfredo to cut corners. We just need to get our first few gigs and our work quality will start to build a reputation. W'ere gonna be mobile and travel anywhere there's a big contract.

>> No.16880486

>>16880116
What area of the country are you in?

>> No.16880509

>>16877781
what the fuck are you pressure washing for 94,000 dollars?

i call bulshit.

i work at a company most companys just have their own pressure washers., and forklifts with cages on the forks

>> No.16880586

>>16877781
Can you list the start up costs?

>> No.16880734

>>16880509
it was a stadium roof. a famous stadium and i think he even under bid it in my opinion. It's not that uncommon to get 6 figure contracts with big companies who need mass amounts of buildings washed or the inside of a giant airplane paint hanger cleaned.

>> No.16880846

>>16880509
exactly.... this thread sounds a little too good to be true.

>> No.16880878

I worked as a labourer before and pressure washing shit was unironically fun and satisfying

>> No.16880879

>>16880586
it all depends on what sort of rig you want to have set up and what you wanna clean. The faster your cleaning rig the more jobs you can do. There are a few varying methods and opinions on how to do it things correctly, so. it all depends on what your cleaning method is. if you wanna surface clean driveways for a few hundred bucks a piece you could buy a decent washer for $500-$1000 (or even less if you buy used or a slower gpm machine), a surface cleaner, some hose and odds and ends. if you want some real cleaning power you're going to have to get at least a trailer with some holding tanks for bleach, hose reels, a pressure washer, etc etc just google about the trailers

>> No.16880925

>>16880846
how so? we're talking about industrial contracts from big companies or gov city contracts for big structures. You can't just jump in and do these big jobs without a well looking established company or a lot of know how. small residential jobs you can jump right in after some minor training but you won't make that kind of money. look up some of the critical process cleaning companies that get contracts with Boeing, toyota, etc etc They're 50-100 million dollar companies

>> No.16881000

>>16880846
$104,000 to clean tacoma dome roof for instance

http://www.tacomadailyindex.com/blog/4-contractors-respond-to-rfi-for-tacoma-dome-roof-cleaning/2425412/

>> No.16881071

>>16877781
Just buy link you fucking idiot.

>> No.16881072

I think any aspie autismo anons should look into powercleaning as a job.
>don't have to interact with wagies or human beings, just machine and clean
>making things clean and new feels like it'd appeal to autismo sensibilities
>zen state of total focus
>>16879043
good post

>> No.16881137

>>16880925
You’re talking years of experience and establishment. This is definitely not something an average joe with $10000 can just invest in and start right away.
That’s like a cub thinking he’s going to become a lion after his first kill for food.

>> No.16881196

>>16881137
>That’s like a cub thinking he’s going to become a lion after his first kill for food.
That is how cubs become lions tho

>> No.16881231

>>16881196
Yes but not in an instant. This industry sounds more intricate than you guys are making it out to be. If it was this easy than every high school diploma fuck off would do it.

>> No.16881244

>>16877781
I don't know much about this line of work but anything for involving industrial workplaces and cleaning, it'd be a good idea to get a HAZWOPER certification.

>> No.16881294

>>16881231
My sentiments as well. The caliber of ppl that I see hired to do these types of jobs are often teh same type of, "this looks simple, I can do this for myself and make more money" type of dudes. I admire the spirit, but I don't have much faith. Buth then again, who knows, could seem so simple everyone just writes it off.

>> No.16881320

>>16881072
My dad is this type of dude. Worked in a machine shop most his life and probably loved the spinny repetitive bullshit. He's always worked low-skill jobs, and he's a great employee as long as he has solid direction and motivation from someone else. I should set him up with a real go-getter in a power washing business lol then I don't have to worry about supporting him when he 'retires.'

>> No.16881537

>>16881231
It's a lot to do with sales and getting the guy who picks the contractor for X-giant inc to like you and to think yr competent enough to get the job done without making him have to come in on the weekend because you broke something. You should see the retards the "big established" companies send in to do the actual work on these jobs. if you're competent enough you can shadow some of these bigger companies working as a grunt and learn how to do this kind of stuff in 5-10 months, if you put in the effort.