[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 259 KB, 1000x861, 0DA62D60-814F-43D6-934F-7E0381415A6B.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15501756 No.15501756 [Reply] [Original]

>stay in school as long as you can anon!
why do my boomer uncles always tell me this? im a poorfag and can barely afford to do anything

>> No.15501791

Because if you went to school in their generation your raked in cash

My uncles who work construction make more than a senior manager in my field, but they have paid a physical toll. The further back in time you go the more valuable a college education was. Their failure to acknowledge the devaluation isn't really their fault.

>> No.15501797

because wagecucking is terrible

>> No.15501808

>>15501756
Boomers still believe degrees are valuable

>> No.15501813

>>15501756
Because school has pussy. Young, available pussy. When you get into the real world, especially if you work in tech or engineering or something, your life will be devoid of quality pussy and leisure time. Reading books, studying and getting drunk is a paradise you’ll miss forever. The workaday world will kill your soul sooner or later. You may think “you’re just a loser” but even the people who have high paying jobs and whatever are burnt out and slaving for their golden handcuffs. They would ALL trade their lives to go back to college.

>> No.15501822

>>15501797
A lot of university students these days are stacking shelves at ASDA a year after they graduate. There's only a few subjects where higher education is really necessary

>> No.15501832

>>15501791
School was also far, far less competitive and stressful.

>> No.15501834

>>15501813
>school has pussy. Young, available pussy.
True desu. The pussy is everywhere at uni. I never got so much pussy as i got in my uni days.

>> No.15501843

>>15501822
What I meant was that boomer uncles want you to delay the inevitable

>> No.15501890

>>15501832
I don't really agree with the bit about competition. Sure a smaller percentage of people get into ivy league schools by volume of application, but the expectation of the average student in college has dropped immensely in my opinion. Grade inflation is rampant. I really don't see it as competitive beyond acceptance, and there is always a school that will take anyone who tried at all (highschool is easy as fuck).

As far as stress goes it's only stressful because of the finances associated with it. College was easy and I majored in a hard science. It might seem harder because again they let more retards in now than they used to. It used to be reserved for actual intellectuals and the average children of rich people, who by virtue of their parent's wealth had better tutors and therefore more learned intelligence than the average citizen.

>> No.15501911

>>15501832
What I definitely think is an accurate statement is that the job market was far less competitive and stressful.

>> No.15501935

>>15501890
>>15501911
Yeah, you can always fuck around with trash schools, retarded majors, or brainless jobs. I'm talking about the lifestyles then and now. Say class of 1975 vs class of 2015.

How do those people fare post-graduation? How do Ivy League STEM master race types? How do middle-of-the-roadfags?

>> No.15501970

The value of a degree has fallen while the cost factor to obtain it has climbed.

Your stress comes not from college itself but rather trying to pay for it all and yet still find time to study and have some form of life.

Everyone anymore has some degree in "something" Lit studies or General studies for those who don't really know or give a fuck what major/career they want to do after college.

So you go, you get tossed out deep in debt, you try to find a job and if your lucky you'll get one right quick cause you know, "bills" and shit. But due to everyone having a degree, H.R types don't really give a shit. You say "I'm a college grad". They say "so what? So's all the other 50 people ahead of you"

So you take whatever job comes your way cause again "bills"