[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 155 KB, 800x521, 222111111.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13141124 No.13141124 [Reply] [Original]

I was contacted by a recruiter for a job recently over LinkedIn. Their account seems legit, and their company's account seems legit.

However, it kind of makes me uncomfortable responding to ANY out of the blue inquiry on the internet. (So far they have only said they wanted to be in contact). Scams are far too complex anymore for me to figure out.

Do you guys have any tips? Would it be appropriate for me to just ask them for another form of confirmation? So far the only thing I can really think of is to actually contact the company in question and inquire if the person works there.

>> No.13141159

>>13141124
>So far they have only said they wanted to be in contact

My bullshit detector is going off. Think about this: Why would they contact you at all unless they want you to come to an interview? The first time they speak to you or message you, it should only be one of two things
>you being rejected
>you being asked to come to an interview

The fact that you're unsure whether it's legit or not is another reason why it's probably not legit. So yeah, don't get your hopes up.

>> No.13141220

>>13141159
Pretty much they said that they came across my resume on LinkedIn and think I am a good fit for a potential job, blah blah long term contract blah blah. It ends with the person asking if I am interested in learning more and what would be a good day/time to talk.

The only reasons it didn't completely trip my BS meter so far I binned it was:
1. The job actually exists and is posted in the same place they are claiming
2. The job references a program by it's new name (The company producing it got bought out about a year ago). On my resume on LinkedIn it is still only named by it's old one.
3. Someone I used to work with got a coldcall email like this and it ended up being legitimate and now they work in 2x as better conditions

I am thinking about just calling the staffing group tomorrow and seeing if they can confirm this person exists. Depending on how that goes I will just respond with a simple request for more information and a way to confirm that this is legit. If they don't respond/this hurts my chances it's whatever. Rather lose 3 opportunities than give Punjang my info for free.

>> No.13141666

Dude, I get like 5 headhunter messages per day. That’s the whole point of the LinkedIn platform. Just don’t be a retard when something sounds fishy.

>> No.13141681

bro theyre all shit, they all just skim money off your paycheck dont interact with those people go straight to the company

>> No.13141684

>>13141220
well do you want a job or not?
I got reached out directly from HR before (not a head hunting group) and got an offer within 2 days (1 day for interview, 1 day for offer letter). Stuff like this does happen.

>> No.13141691

Why the fuck is everyone so scared of cold inquiries using LinkedIn if the whole fucking purpose of the site is to put up a flag and display your skills and business info?

>> No.13141764

>>13141124
recruiter here
>>13141159 has no clue what he is talking about
>you being rejected
would mean you applied to something with this recruiter, which you didn't
>you being asked to come to an interview
often but not always, you may be a total sperg on the phone, and I'll stop there. I may have a full schedule in the next three weeks, and I just want to know how much you're looking for,where and for what job

>Scams are far too complex anymore for me to figure out.

Do you guys have any tips? Would it be appropriate for me to just ask them for another form of confirmation? So far the only thing I can really think of is to actually contact the company in question and inquire if the person works there.

Contacting the firm will be useless, unles it's some realy low cost shit, the receptionist will block you, they are trained for it.
DO NOT PAY A SINGLE CENT. Recruiting firms bill the companies recruiting, not and never applicants

Do not give any info that isn't in your Linkedin except salary-place of work-availabilty. absolutely never give ID, SS number, etc...

If the LinkedIn account is a pro account, it's a solid indication it's legit, these things are expensive.

I do this kind of LinkedIn contact everyday. We send out litteraly hundreds of messages like the one you received. We then have a quick back and forth like you had with half of those. We end up having an nterview live or visio, with about a dozen people (if they offer to send your resume after a few linkedin messages, they are a cheap firm offering minimal service, aka resume shooters )

1.don't pay anything, if they ask for money it's a scam
2.if you're suspicious, call the recruiter's PREVIOUS company (it should be in his Linkedin)
and say you're from X company and are calling to make a reference about the recruiter and would like to talk to his former boss (get as much info as you can from linkedIN, you won't have the name of his boss, so be sharp about which department and years)

>> No.13141794
File: 184 KB, 757x615, 1553705464276.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13141764
Memes aside, this absolutely based.