[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 320 KB, 349x415, 142120938929.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1224833 No.1224833 [Reply] [Original]

>most societies, and most individuals within those societies, would agree there is such a thing as too much power for one man or one group of self-interested individuals to hold
>money is a demonstrable form of power
>there are no laws or regulations that prevent a single man or group of self-interested individuals from having more than a given sum of money

>> No.1224847

>>1224833
money is only a byproduct of power. Contrary to common belief, politicians use the power of their positions to become rich, instead of buying/selling their positions (unless you're from Chicago.) You get a raise at work by entering a position that holds more power. Money can be leveraged to attain more power, but then again that's what money is.

So I suppose the answer to your quasi-question is that societies, and the individuals within those societies, would agree on a number of abstract thoughts, but disagree with their implementation. It's why Obama got elected on a promise of "change," but hated for actually implementing it. We all hate the idea of large amounts of consolidated power, but love the idea that one day, we will become the powerful

>> No.1224860

>>1224847
But we know almost nobody will become the powerful elite of society. The handful who do will either be born into circumstances which make it easy, or earn it through tremendous effort while also being simultaneously lucky as hell as they work against a system which has literally been built with the odds stacked against social and economic growth unless one of the handful already at the top reaches down to bring you up to their level. It's like how literally everyone who took ten seconds to think rationally knew the concept of "trickle down economics" was never going to work and wasn't meant to work in the favor of any majority population.

So why do people hold on to hopes they know are functionally impossible instead of working to implement changes which are demonstrably capable of at least dragging the top down to something closer to a reasonable level?

>> No.1224863

>>1224860
I don't know where you got those ideas, but forget them right now. On this board alone, there are enough ideas you could implement to become vastly rich. The problem is most people are too lazy to implement them. I'm not interested in dragging down those who weren't

>> No.1224876

>>1224833
This is a good example of the tyranny of the majority.

What right do you or any of the "most" have to remove my liberties from me? Simply because there is more of you, you are made right?

>money is a demonstrable form of power

Mainly because the political system is corrupt and can be swayed by wealth and apparently people blame those with money instead of the politicians who take it in exchange for favors.