[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 169 KB, 584x435, Beatles-taxman1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1172754 No.1172754 [Reply] [Original]

/co/, here. I'd like some American tax advice, if anyone can help me out here.

I currently work abroad as an English teacher. Last year I was in China for the first half of the year and Vietnam for the second half (and currently).

I'm trying to do my taxes on HR Block online. I'm running into a problem reporting my income earned in Vietnam. The office I work for says they'll have no paperwork for me. I have already talked to HR Block and they said my Nam employer should have something for me. Either a W2 or 1099.

The online tax forms need this info, like employer number, tax withheld, etc. So, I can't move forward with the process until I figure this out.

Anyone know any tax tips that can help me out here?

I've been outside the US for more than a full year. And I know I haven't made enough money for the IRS to care.

>> No.1172853

You're doing it wrong. Report it as foreign earned income, not a w2.

>> No.1173564

>>1172754
Report it on Line 21 of Form 1040, "other income." As to whether it's subject to social security tax or not, I don't know, but you can report it there. That way, if you ever do get a 1099 or W-2, it will already be reported, so you don't have a tax consequence. The only thing that throws that off is if it is subject to social security or not.