[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 225 KB, 684x445, 1450069496889.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1001908 No.1001908[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

>living with mommy and daddy past the age of 18
What's wrong with Millennials?

>> No.1001920

>>1001908
>posting this every day
what is wrong with us 4channers

>> No.1001922

>>1001908

I dunno. Parents let them stay when there is no legal obligation to keep them.

I mean, if the kid don't work and contribute to the house, I'm not sure why a parent would do much more than maybe get them first months' rent.

>> No.1001933

the economy stupid

>> No.1001939

>>1001933
But the economy in some of the best state it's been in decades.

Surely you can't keep blaming boomers and the "job market" for your shit degree and lack of motivation?

>> No.1001953

I messed up, that's what happened.
Put up a working webshop today, will get out of here when I can. I'm lucky I'm still 19.

>> No.1001963
File: 11 KB, 308x313, 1310650820313.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1001939
It's in a good state for companies and maybe people in their 30s, it's in a horrendous state for teenagers who are competing with professionals with degrees over part time, minimum wage work.

My life's great, but I remember how shit it was 8 years ago. It's even worse for them now.

>Holy fuck it's been 8 years.

>> No.1001982

22, finance degree minor in econ, still can't find a full-time job. Applied for about 750 jobs overall. I'm doing temp work for 40hrs a week and still applying, but i can't find stable enough employment to save to start a business in portfolio analysis or sign a lease. How do you guys get full-time jobs? Everywhere i temp says i do a good job but they don't have the budget to hire me.

>> No.1001987

>>1001982

Took me two years out of college to get a full time job.

You basically just have to keep throwing shit at the wall until it sticks.

>> No.1001990

>>1001982
>22, finance degree minor in econ, still can't find a full-time job. Applied for about 750 jobs overall

How shit is your GPA? Did you do any internships during school?

You have got to be doing something wrong if you're having THAT much difficulty finding a job.

>> No.1001997

>>1001908
Are you the same guy who compared living with your parents to arranged marriages?

>> No.1001998

>>1001990

Do jobs even look at GPAs aside from teaching?

>> No.1002001

I'm going to turn 23 in a week and I'm seriously considering moving from New York to Charlotte with no job in February or March.

How can I best ensure that I won't starve? My parents are probably going to throw a fucking fit if I do it, but I'm not getting anything accomplished sitting in my room and relying on nepotism to get consultation interviews alone.

>> No.1002004

>>1001908
Im 23 and still live with my parents. I finally got a full time job and I just graduated uni so I plan on moving out very, very soon.

Shit is horrendous at my parents house. They dont make me pay rent but we are extremely poor and they cant even put food in the house for themselves. I can live better by myself and cant wait but Im thankful they let me have the time to build myself up.

>> No.1002005

>>1001990
3.32 GPA, i started an internship junior year but my ex-girlfriend's grandmother went on hospice and we rotated care, so after class I went there and worked while doing it, but couldn't keep up with it so i had to end it, a month in and it was fine, but when that started i literally had 0 time and my work suffered.

It was for an econ professor analyzing millage rates and comparing it to business growth to test the effect it had. I had to call local government bodies around my state, but since i had to drive 45 mins i called at 3 and the local government employees all went home by that time everyday for weeks so i couldn't do my work. The professor still gives me letters of rec, but I couldn't keep up with what she wanted after the care started.

The temp stuff is okay i guess but I contribute to house bills so my parents say it's okay as long as I'm contributing and trying. I just can't possibly compete with other workers for entry level positions who have been fucked by the job market for the past couple years and have ~2 years of experience doing random temp stuff. 3 months total of exp vs more, clearly people will go with more experience.

>> No.1002014

>>1002005
>

blah blah blah blah

Didn't even read your post beyond the first sentence. All you're focused on is excuses, not solutions. No one cares about your sad story here.

>> No.1002019

>>1001908
>>1001939
>>1001990
>>1002014
Nice baitthread, I bet you have a great job, a lovely wife, and kids that actually love you. Then again, you're here, that's a lie.

Or you're a bored richfag kiddo with a hand-me-down job from your father.

>> No.1002027

>>1002014
How about no i didn't do an internship. I'm currently working in temp positions and do not know what I'm doing wrong to not find a full-time position. 3 months of total temporary experience in bank reconciliation and general accounting if that helps.

>> No.1002037

>>1002027
Ok well first off you definitely should have done some internships or at least had a better GPA(if not both)...

For Finance/Accounting you should pretty much have 3.5+ GPA as a minimum in addition to an internships since it's so competitive. Obviously that's too late now though.

Maybe try posting your resume for critique and taking a more pragmatic approach to your interviewing? For example, after a handful of interviews write down the common questions you had that you feel you could improve on and practice those extensively while recording yourself with your phone to later play back. Maybe even try asking someone you trust for help with this to make some "mock" interviews.

>> No.1002044
File: 1.47 MB, 2294x2500, millenials-savings-main-chart-111-7157.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

As the guy who made the "Millennials are bad at saving money" thread, this serial shitposting is embarrassing.

Yes, Millennials suck. No, we don't need daily reminders.

>> No.1002053

>>1002037
More than likely it's the resume that's the problem. I've only had one phone interview. I followed up with the person and they said they forwarded it to the hiring manager. I haven't followed up since that and it was two weeks ago. I more than likely have missed an opportunity by not calling again.

I did some mock interviews at my uni and the only thing they said was that I seem I'm too showy, like I am a "know-it-all". I've tried to tone it down but I haven't had the opportunity to go on many interviews. Where should I post my resume for critique?

>> No.1002060

>>1002053
>I did some mock interviews at my uni and the only thing they said was that I seem I'm too showy, like I am a "know-it-all"

Write down interview questions and then record yourself answering them. Watch it later and you will probably be easily able to figure out whether your speech was too fast/slow, you mumbled, stuttered, etc. It's a good tip, don't underestimate it.

>Where should I post my resume for critique?

Maybe here, although there's a lot of NEETs/students I'm sure we'd be able to point out any obvious flaws.

>> No.1002066
File: 24 KB, 570x411, 1428507726590.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1002044
>mfw I finally paid off my shitty millennial meme mistake debt this year
>mfw I just got to that top bracket of 20k savings yesterday

>> No.1002073

>>1002060
Trying to preserve formatting while also taking out identifying factors

Header with name
Education
School name
BSBA in Finance with a minor in Economics
3.32 GPA overall
Four time Dean's List recipient.

Work Experience
Staffing agency
Company 2(current) - 2 months
• Responsible for reconciling bank deposits and Paypal payments for all company stores and direct to home sales.
• Audited and released all transactions made through company stores to prepare journal entries.
• Guided stores to take the correct courses of action in the case of deposit discrepancies.
• Reconciled credit card transactions with AMEX and BAMS.

Company 1 - 3 weeks
Completed a six week temporary position in three weeks by completing all presented tasks.
• Processed and invoiced around 200k of receivables to both business and government.
• Audited receipts of transactions to ensure an accurate translation to the general ledger.

Skill Set
• Experience reconciling cash and credit card deposits for multinational companies.
• Semester work using financial analytic tools to predict future spot price of currencies.
• Semester work analyzing risk of portfolios and securities using financial predictors.
• Strong Background in AS400, Excel, Word, Access, and Trinitech Reconciliation Software.

Volunteer and Activities makes me identifiable. as if this isn't easy to google anyway.

>> No.1002080

>>1002073
>>1002073
A little tip to help is to get rid of the amount of time spent there and simply put the year you worked there, especially if the year is different for those 2 companies. You can even leave out that you worked there through a staffing agency; the only way they'd know is if you're asked in an interview, which means you've started getting interviews.

>> No.1002089

>>1002080
Thank you, I appreciate the help

>> No.1002096

see how well off those are that aren't living at home or subsidized in some way. kinda hard to have buying power when housing costs/markets/cost of living are steamrolling young people.

>> No.1002101

>>1002044
why save?

>meaningless 0.5% interest on savings accounts
>inability to actually pay for catastrophic events should the need arise (cancer = bankruptcy, straight up)
>cost of living + debt payments keep free cash nearly nonexistent (young working adults are 'created' with inherent debt from student loans, predatory credit cards, predatory auto lending)

>> No.1002108

the housing market is great... for millionaire investors that buy up the properties and put it up for section 8 renting

why aren't any of you snatching up these cheap cheap houses so that you can pay a 30-year mortgage with ghetto neighbors and owners that visit on-site maybe twice a year?

>> No.1002109

>>1002101
>>meaningless 0.5% interest on savings accounts

It's called ETFs.

>>inability to actually pay for catastrophic events should the need arise (cancer = bankruptcy, straight up)

>Why save?
>lists a reason to save money
lol

>(young working adults are 'created' with inherent debt from student loans, predatory credit cards, predatory auto lending)

>Predatory credit cards
>Predatory auto lending

WHO THE FUCK forces you to take out loans and buy shit with money you don't have?

>> No.1002138

>>1002108
>>1002109
I feel like society is coming apart at the seams. Investor forces are causing working people to fight each other. And I work in a field that adds value to products made in a factory in the US, and they get worse every year, and they pay us less to fix them too. My immediate response is to be mad at the factory workers but I suspect it's the deliberate penny pinching at the production line level that's causing poor build quality. The workers all lose, the customers lose, they even hire people to fight workers' expenses ffs.

>> No.1002142

>>1002109
it's very much not a reason to save. you aren't going to save enough to pay for something like a medical disaster. you will bite that chapter 7 bullet regardless.

let's pretend you can manage to save that much cash. instead of benefiting from the cash, the medical industrial complex swallows it all up. you end up with nothing after having never benefited from the fruits of your labor. but hey, you were a good boy and payed that trillion dollar industry their bill.

let's pretend you ignore it completely. you get cancer, file chapter 7, and end up with nothing. however, you benefited from spending that cash however you saw fit the whole time. the trillion dollar healthcare industry is real mad at you, though.

>> No.1002143

>>1002109

Not technically involved, but the only reason I even have savings to buy a rather cheap car is because I paid my parents rent at a preferential rate and pitch in for house repairs instead of getting an apartment.

Of course, my father is ill, so you might call me sentimental as you insult me for being a wuss or a candy ass.

>> No.1002155

>>1002142
>let's pretend you can manage to save that much cash. instead of benefiting from the cash, the medical industrial complex swallows it all up. you end up with nothing after having never benefited from the fruits of your labor. but hey, you were a good boy and payed that trillion dollar industry their bill.

You are suggesting an extraordinary case.

Are you really going to be living your entire life based on all these IF's?
>If you get cancer
>If you get this, if you get that

That's not going to happen, the vast majority of people do not get cancer even though they smoke and live unhealthy lifestyles.

>If if if...

You can make up all these if's on /r9k until the cows come home but the fact of the matter is that it's not going to happen.
>But what if I become a professional football player then a car hits me and I can never play again and now I'm homeless?
>What if I become an analyst at a hedge fund but then I slip in the shower and break my head open and bleed out to death?
>What if I invest all my money but then the stock market collapses and an apocalypse occurs? I'd have worked all my life for nothing!!!
>What if I buy a house and it burns down and insurance refuses to cover it for some dumb reason? I'll have wasted all my money and life on nothing!

Just kill yourself right now if you're going to keep making up if's. It's the safest bet.

>> No.1002157

>>1002155

...is it bad I think both of you are going to extreme arguments when either of you could come a few steps forward and you'd get a lot closer to the truth?

Ignoring difficulties of the less advantaged classes is poor form, but claiming one cannot succeed is just as poor...

>> No.1002159

>>1001908
>turned 18 in 2008
>lived on my own for 1 year
>college rate hikes
>laid off from shitty telemarketing job during college
>rate hikes continue, and are double what they were when I started
>new regulations mean I can't get mortgage, loans, or credit card with my employment, when they were handing this shit out to anyone in the 70's-90's
>Housing prices and rent in my area nearly double since I turned 18
>Expected to take unpaid positions out of college

Yeah, when the choice is crippling and overwhelming debt you can't default on, or simply living at home for 4-7 (in my case 7) years is not a bad idea.

>> No.1002165

>>1002157
>Ignoring difficulties of the less advantaged classes is poor form, but claiming one cannot succeed is just as poor...

But what difficulties? He mentioned 3 irrelevant things that aren't even a concern if you spend 15 minutes reading r/personalfinance FAQ or something.

>> No.1002167

>>1002138
spectacular society is the creation of advertisements. take a cruise. someone created a goal for you to achieve. your cousin took his family on a cruise. why can't you? you want to be good to your family, right? just fork us a few thousand to ride on our boat. a cruise isn't just a 'thing.' it's a life event. it's an important part of OUR society! EVERYONE is taking them! i mean, this cruise ship vacation is as american as apple pie on thanksgiving

you can't buy everything we sell? you can't afford the bill? you don't work hard enough. you don't save hard enough. you aren't doing enough as a human being to earn your right to exist.

the narrative has changed. no longer does the oppressor whip you into subservience. you whip yourself because you want to!

>> No.1002168

>>1002155
>Are you really going to be living your entire life based on all these IF's?

you are right. why save money? i can't live my life for all these "what if's". shit happens. may as well spend what i have when i have it.

>> No.1002171

>>1002109
Lol this nigga proposed ETF as if it's risk-free as savings accounts

Even CDs and bonds with these interest rates is laughable. Saving money is retarded if you have no earning power.

Get off this board you smug fuck

>> No.1002172

>>1002155
Also, like HALF the people who smoke will get cancer. 40-60%, in fact.

>> No.1002177
File: 190 KB, 374x454, 1434817150839.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>I earn $70k right out of college and still live with my parents

>> No.1002178

>>1002142
"Chapter 7, also called 'liquidation' or 'straight bankruptcy,' is the process by which a debtor's assets are sold, creditors receive payment, and you are then free from your debts."

>you benefited from spending that cash however you saw fit the whole time
>end up with nothing

Either way this highly unlikely scenario goes, you end up with nothing. If you saved though, you wouldn't be stuck with shitty credit for the rest of your life

>> No.1002179

>>1002167
>you can't buy everything we sell? you can't afford the bill? you don't work hard enough. you don't save hard enough. you aren't doing enough as a human being to earn your right to exist.

No one forces you to buy anything.

It's entirely about your own life choices. I'm not even going to say that getting an education in a marketable major is even objectively a good idea. If you want to live like a bum in section 8 housing or live in the woods being self-sufficient then that's perfectly fine as long as you're happy... But most people would enjoy having nice things and modern technology.

>>1002168
>you are right. why save money? i can't live my life for all these "what if's". shit happens. may as well spend what i have when i have it.

If you don't save money your chances of running into a small problem like a broken leg or your car breaking down fucking up your life exponentially.

Why are you even on this board if your attitude is "Lol why save life sucks anyway might as well spend it all"? You are the type of person who posts this then the next day posts "Wow fuck Amerikkka I got $5k in credit card debt and all these ridiculous loans I can't pay off".

>>1002171
>Lol this nigga proposed ETF as if it's risk-free as savings accounts

Index Funds/ETFs are as safe as it gets and give you ~7% returns p/a overall.

>> No.1002186

>>1002172
>Also, like HALF the people who smoke will get cancer. 40-60%, in fact.

In fact huh?

>Surprisingly, fewer than 10 percent of lifelong smokers will get lung cancer. Fewer yet will contract the long list of other cancers, such as throat or mouth cancers. In the game of risk, you're more likely to have a condom break than to get cancer from smoking.Nov 18, 2008

http://www.livescience.com/3093-smoking-myths-examined.html

Doesn't seem like much of a "fact".

>> No.1002189

>>1002178
forgot to add, the industry still gets their money :^)

>> No.1002190

>>1002165

I don't know what he's talking about, but I had a very difficult time finding a job even when taking advantage of the very nice state system. Even doing under the table labor by day to supplement cashier job, I only brought home about $400 a month. I had this job from 2012 (while in school, where the income was more than enough), to 2014 (where it was barely paying student loan minimums and helping with family needs).

When I got a state job in 2014, I only made $1000 a month, and a lot of that had to go to the house or father. If I left home, I would likely still feel obligated to contribute to father's medical care even if they told me 'son, you need not do that!' (what kind of son would betray his family when they have helped him?), which would make me an enemy of all but the most generous roommates.

It took me until 2015 to get a better wage, and now things are actually looking up like I could buy my own home or grow this one by paying for additional property nearby.

I am thinking I will go for the latter option if at all possible, as it will allow me to be close to my family, even if it will make the commute to work longer.

In any case, I spent a long time blathering to say 'I had to sweat for opportunities, and it sucked to have to wait for them', but it was fulfilling to help my parents as they helped me. It sucked a lot, because my parents rely on handouts due to my mother being a caretaker (she's the real MVP, in all of this).

I am satisfied with things as they are so far, but I hope to make them better within the coming year.

I am sorry if I am a little incoherent, but I sympathize both for the idea that you CAN advance yourself even if things can seem or actually are unfair AND for the person who is having trouble. My life is proof of the American dream for rural upper lower class, I feel.

I do not have sympathy for people who do not try, but...I can feel for people who are spinning their wheels due to economical troubles.

>> No.1002192

>>1002177

If you work full time/for large amounts of money, at least you are not NEET.

>> No.1002194

>>1002178
>buy asset
>enjoy asset for a time
>get cancer
>lose asset
>say "well, i enjoyed it while i had it!"

but damn, what about my credit score! what about the interest rate on the car loans that all of the self proclaimed savings experts have claimed i would be retarded to take?

so i should save and never have anything because i am saving, in order to pay my bill in full so they can't take the assets i don't have, so that i can have a better interest rate on loans i shouldn't take.

i am just getting confused here guys!

>> No.1002195

>>1002194

(You are falling for ruse cruise, anon. OP will not be satisfied no matter what your excuse is.)

>> No.1002197
File: 49 KB, 780x780, le funny meme man.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1002202

>>1002194
>Skips my post entirely >>1002179

Why are people like you even on this board? You clearly don't care about business and finance, you just want short term gratification and then wonder at 30-40 years old why you have absolutely no savings and you can't retire even at 80 years old. But fail to realize it's because of your own poor life choices.

>>1002190
$400 a month? What kind of job where you working and how many hours a week? That is literally 10 hours a week @ $10/hr...

$1000 a month? That's part time at minimum wage hours... You are just a lazy retard who can't work hard. That's not even full time lmao.

>> No.1002206

I really have to get off this board, you people are lefty pol it seems now.

I'm going to go cook and eat some steak right now. I will be back a little later to check what else incoherent bullshit you lazy imbeciles have posted.

>> No.1002209

>>1002195
>(You are falling for ruse cruise, anon. OP will not be satisfied no matter what your excuse is.)

He literally says "Lol why save when I might get cancer on the 0.001% chance and I'll lose all my money, so instead I'll spend everything I have as soon as I get it.

Has to be trolling I think.

>> No.1002210
File: 40 KB, 500x381, 500px-Oh-you-show.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1002096
Fuck, this senpai. I have a friend who wants to move in because her job (45k) doesn't pay enough to live alone where she lives. She has a cat though and my apartment has a no-pets rule, and I'm allergic. Shit sucks yo.

>>1002179
>ETFs give 7% returns.
Yeah if you count the huge bull market we just went through. Those years are over, son. You gotta invest more wisely and stay ahead of the market.

>> No.1002213

>>1002202
retirement isn't real

the creation of the concept coincides with father's day cards and cruise vacations

nobody in history ever retired and we won't either. the 'retirement period' will be remembered as an anomalous blip, a whacky concept from the post-ww2 western world

we can look back on retirement in the same category as tulip mania and codpieces

>> No.1002232

>>1002197
pls cuck me donny

>> No.1002256

>>1002202
>Federal Tax
>State Tax
>Social Security
>Medicare

$1,000 net/month is $7.69 for 40 hours per week, which is or has been the minimum wage in quite a few states.

>> No.1002279

>>1002213
>nobody in history ever retired and we won't either. the 'retirement period' will be remembered as an anomalous blip, a whacky concept from the post-ww2 western world

What do you call it when people stop working at around 60 years old usually?

Whatever that is, is what you will not enjoy if you keep doing what you're posting.

>> No.1002292

>>1002279
you're right. by not buying into the retirement myth, i will be denying myself the following experience:

after a lifetime of self-flagellant austerity, i will finally be able to experience happiness by slowly walking around cruise ships at 6am after taking my dozen medications. or maybe i can take a guide tour of london, one where i can sit down because my dozen medications make my knees ache.

or, i could buy a plane ticket to london and enjoy it. but that's irresponsible, i guess.

i can hear the CEO yelling now: "H-HEY, s-shouldn't you be working? where's your fiscal responsibility!? travel is for the retired!!! haven't you read the brochures!?!? put your money in my mutual fund and get back in the office!"

>> No.1002297

>>1002292
>after a lifetime of self-flagellant austerity, i will finally be able to experience happiness by slowly walking around cruise ships at 6am after taking my dozen medications

Ok then what is your life plan? Do you currently work? How do you survive/plan on surviving in the future?

And again, why are you even on this board if you're so clearly against business and finance? This is like going on /fit/ and saying "What's the point of exercising when we're all going to die anyway or you might get injured?".

>> No.1004340

>>1002186
>In the game of risk, you're more likely to have a condom break than to get cancer from smoking
lol if you think 10% of condoms break then you must not have had much sex

>> No.1004505

>>1002004
Are thou living my life? Also my parents didn't pay my Uni, nor taxes, so I got no deegrees.
>>1002179
Here in Italy I was going to live in woods by myself, government said it's illegal because I have to pay taxes on living soil, house, water and plants/animals I was going to eat. Plants I already buyed, but I had to pay taxes on the fact they produce fruits and I could (just COULD) sell fruits. It's impossible to live that why, even if you try hard, money plains our life.