[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 22 KB, 570x204, 356356536.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
807072 No.807072 [Reply] [Original]

how much time do artists spend:
a) browsing through google images for inspiration (not specifically for references)
b) browsing through portfolio websites seeing what other artists do
c) observing in reality to get inspiration

and in general, how important is inspiration? do artists just do stuff from scratch or do they spend a huge amount of time searching for inspiration?

>> No.807078

I spend hours browsing images and building up my PureRef board when I start a new project. Everything inspires you, what do you mean by starting from scratch? If I start a project, it was because obviously I was inspired by something. I'm not copying anything, but I still look for some interesting references to guide me in the right direction. Lots of stuff IRL inspires me as well, for a recent scene I was inspired a lot by the park nearby. Sometimes I'll just travel around Google Maps and search for interesting scenes. I don't really go through other portfolios though.

>> No.807082

>>807078
Is there such a thing as "inspiration bypassing" (i made that term up, where you just endlessly watch cool images without actually doing work? Or is it normal to spend endless hours going through images until you really feel inspired?

>> No.807084

>>807072
>google images
I use Pinterest, Google images is ptetty shit these days. Depends on what you're looking for tho.

>> No.807088

>>807072
Every artist have their own processes they follow.

Personally I dream up a concept of the thing I'm about to do, do a few rough sketches of my raw idea for the thing I'm to make.
Once I have something I want to take towards production I then google reference images I can use for making the thing
to the extent such references may exist in reality.

Like I've done lot of near future sci-fi militarism recently, so I have tons of reference images of real world plate carriers
body armor, lot's of protective gear for various sports and activities, medical braces etc.

I also explore images of concept art and production assets by other artists to get ideas of what I like and dislike
and what works stylistically for me and what doesn't.

I then start to crossbreed my initial concept with the concepts from other people and try to push the fiction back towards realism by incorporating
elements, detail and surface finish from the real stuff to come up with a highly refined variation of my original concept
that is the best version I'm currently able to conceive of.

>> No.807092

>>807082
In a production environment you will be tasked to make something specific needed for a scene/level.
if you're doing something for yourself just decide on something and then task yourself with making that thing as if tho it was for a client on a project.

Like try take your favorite movie or videogame etc. Make a creature, vehicle or structure etc that isn't already in that world
but that could seamlessly merge into it as if you where an artist working on that project.

Once you have those sort of constraints on you for what it is you are supposed to make you can treat your personal project as a mission
and naturally start zero in on what's the best representation of that thing that you can visualize.

>> No.807095

Google images is pretty much the worst image search there is.

Bing, Yandex, Pinterest, even fucking Yahoo, of all things, are all better.

>> No.807211

>>807078
I was searching for the name of that program for 2 years, ty so much for mentioning it here

>> No.807217

>>807211
Lol np, it's a great tool to have.

>> No.807233

I am a furry so I am basically constantly doing that first one when I check twitter or I'm cooming I guess.

>b) browsing through portfolio websites seeing what other artists do

probably about 15 mins of artstation browsing while I drink my morning coffee

c) observing in reality to get inspiration

I did this a lot when I was learning substance designer, see a cool material about, take some pics on your phone, try and recreate it. Otherwise not so much.

>> No.807255

>>807072
Before I start a big(ish) project, I spend about an hour or two getting reference images for just about everything I can think of in the scene I'm making. Multiple variations of those things, and at every angle I can think of.
Mostly I get these from Google for broad things, flickr and pinterest for more specific things, and take screenshots manually from Google Earth if I need something hyper-specific like locations or "area feels".

Dump all of that into a PureRef board, slap it on the second monitor, and get to work.
Doing any kind of art without reference is like doing it blind.

>> No.807275

>>807255
Tell that to Kim Jung Gi. Compared to him we are all absolute retards.

>> No.807285

>>807275
bruh

>> No.807288

>>807285
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGbvhyTZXfs&t=943s

Freestyle drawing. From his mind. Without references.

Visual library he has in his brain is mind blowing. Look at those details on vehicles. I would fail to model the simplest chair without forgetting about some part of it, and look at this. And then compare it to regular 3D artists who gather whole PureRef boards of texture references so they can even have a chance to recreate some simple materials and place dirt and damages on logical places. And then other 3D artists needing to see the references being used, so they can give ANY critiques, by finding differences between pictures, because their heads are completely empty.

>> No.807313

>>807288
I'm more impressed by his ability to render a consistent perspective across an entire panoramic scene without a single perspective guide in sight.

>> No.807338

Honestly if you take an entire day to gather reference it is very much well worth it. Especially if its a portfolio piece. If your reference is 5 images, you need to find more ref or choose a different object to model. You want something more like 25-50 at least.

>> No.807341

>>807288
it's still bruh. you compare lemons and oranges. it's just plain stupid and ngmi

>> No.807346

>>807341
It was a reply to this
>Doing any kind of art without reference is like doing it blind.
Obviously 2D and 3D is not the same thing, retard.

>> No.807365

>>807275
I was going to clarify about blind artists in my original post, but I thought you guys weren't retarded enough to go there since it was obvious what my intent was.
Turns out I was wrong.

>> No.807492

>>807078
This. Understanding power of great reference images was key for improving my workFlow