[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 11 KB, 580x535, cube.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
770877 No.770877 [Reply] [Original]

title.
How do we learn 3D modeling when we have little time (work, school etc...) ??
I often find myself with 3d tools open on the weekend, trying to do something but then I don't know what to do because I don't have any current goal.

When I had time, I often learned softwares and arts (any software) by trial and error, which takes a lot of time: time that I don't have.

Any tips for learning efficiently and fast?

>> No.770881

fuck, I forgot the word learn on the title
How does one learn 3d modeling*

>> No.770922

Bruh, just pic an image and start modeling, if you don't know wtf are you doing, search for some youtube tutorial videos

>> No.770925

Wake up earlier. I used to wake up at 945 am and would complain that i could never get anything done. Now I wake up at 630 and am ready to work

>> No.770956

>>770925
I wake up at 5am and get home at 6pm

>> No.770960

>>770877
Make models for something you enjoy. I make models as mods for video games, because it's fun and it forces me to try and match the quality of the professional modeling work in the games themselves. It's also nice to see feedback on them.

>> No.770962

>>770956
you have plenty of time

>> No.771012

>>770962
Yeah if you don’t like preparing dinner, doing homework, getting a full night’s sleep, and any other thing life will throw at you, ex. family matters. Not OP btw.

>> No.771013

>>771012
>muh lifes so hard guyz! :((((
you still have plenty of time, stop making excuses

>> No.771014

Probably bad to ask 4chan that question, because the people here spend all their time doing hobbies and have a lot of disposable income to get the latest hardware, learning materials, and take classes.

>> No.771015

>>771013
>t. never was a fulltime college/university student with a parttime job

>> No.771048

>>770877
sound like you need to start a personal project
also fuck you for being young cunt and complain about time

>> No.771318

Everyone has time if you live in a developed country.
Just schedule a time in the morning and don't stay up on 4chan or playing games 3 in the morning. Instead of entertainment use Zbrush.

>> No.771323

I saved up money then took a part time job for like 10 hours a week, pays off some of my bills, rest of the time I am doing/learning 3D.

>> No.771349

>>770877
Honestly, I started learning it when I had a lot of spare time available, so I wouldn't exactly know, as I spent retarded amounts of time on it.

It's a wide field and it depends on what you want to do, but you probably don't know if you don't have experience in it anyway. CGMA makes super high quality courses for intermediates where in like 15 weeks you're learning how to do something, be it environment, foliage, lighting or anything else. You can get those on torrents like CGPeers or CGPersia and you'll learn how to organize your work and they'll handhold you through the entire process.

This guy has a series where you're supposed to model various objects for practice, and it seems pretty nice, so I'd check that first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98FkRIbihyQ&list=PLn3ukorJv4vvv3ZpWJYvV5Tmvo7ISO-NN

There's too much content available online and I could write you a full book about it, so that's enough from me. I wouldn't suggest a trial and error approach though, at least not in the beginning, just follow tutorials from start to finish and make some stuff. Be sure you're not just blindly following but actually understand what you're doing and you'll eventually branch out to personal projects.

Browse ArtStation or Polycount forum threads, join 3D discord communities and immerse yourself in that world. I don't think there's a cheat code for it, it's a kinda slow process and personal projects can take a long time to complete. I'm pushing 200 hours on the latest one and it's not even close to finished yet.

>> No.771355

>>771323
how do you survive on 10 hours a week paycheck mate? In my country, part time jobs are minimum 28 hours a week, not including travel time and unpaid breaks so its more like 34 hours a week

>> No.773895

>>770877
>Any tips for learning efficiently and fast?
step 1) memorize keyboard shortcuts
step 2) learn to use modifiers
once you've done that, you're already done 80% of the work

>> No.774151

1.)Have a big sphere mirrored on the X axis and rotate on X axis 90 degrees
2.) Extrude the middle ring and scale appropriately
3.) Congrats, you just made boobs in 2 minutes.
4.)Keep doing that for an hour everyday until you get gitgud at making boobs.

>> No.774154

>>771015
>never was a fulltime college/university student with a parttime job
not the guy you're replaying to but I was, gotta make time if things are important to you retard.

>> No.774159

>>770877
OP, imagine if you went to the cars board and said "How do I learn to become a mechanic? I have a full time job, and school, and family, so what's the fastest way to become a mechanic?"

Like, do you realize how stupid and insulting that is? Do you think you can just acquire a new skill, a new profession, something other people spend their whole lives on, "quickly"?
Don't have time because of work? Ditch your fucking work, get better work, get more money, work fewer hours.
Can't manage that? Then fuck off
Ditch your family, set aside time to learn a new skill.
Can't do that? Then fuck you, you think you're the only one with responsibilities?
Dumb faggot, obviously 3d art isn't that important to you or you'd have found a way to do it. You'd be watching videos on your phone during your break, you'd be reading books while you ate dinner, you'd be making all the sacrifices and all the hard choices everyone else has ever had to make that has decided to learn something so complex you can literally make a job out of it.

Grow the fuck up, get some perspective.

>> No.774160

>>770877
>When I had time, I often learned softwares and arts (any software) by trial and error,
>efficiently and fast??
>I don't know what to do because I don't have any current goal.
ESLs are so fucking lazy. If you don't have a clear goal, you won't learn anything. Why are you asking here?

>> No.774161

>>774160
>ESLs
don't lump the lazy retards in with everybody else. English wasn't my first (or second) language and I'm getting along just fine. The lazy cunts who can't be bothered to phrase things properly are a different breed entirely.

>> No.774164

>>770877
>How does one 3d modeling correctly

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSLLdTBwLMfTKWS56tOiQpw/videos

>> No.774166

>>771355
I survive on 10 hours a week cause I have like 10K saved up in my bank from working fulltime

>> No.774167

>>774166
>like 10k saved up
Unless you're in a third-world country, one big unexpected event is enough to wipe that out.