[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 123 KB, 426x308, 1557518390291.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
713852 No.713852 [Reply] [Original]

What's it like developing VR experiences / games? Right now I have no headset and my GPU is tooold, but I imagine that the possibilities for making new, fun stuff is sky high. Can I use based unity in VR or what? Do you have to keep taking your headset on / off?

The only thing I have that is somewhat similar to VR is a 3d vision monitor and the glasses, and its a huge pain in the ass to make anything with it since it never really took off

>> No.713861

>>713852
besides the vr stuff (nausea stuttering etc) you have to address, the only real rule you should follow is use real sizes for objects.
For creating I can see no advantage for vr.

>> No.713868

>>713861
how is unity for VR?

>> No.713894

>>713868
https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/unity/latest/concepts/

>> No.713902

>>713868
I've done some VR projects in Unity. It's probably the easiest engine to use with VR.

Yes, you have to keep putting the headset on and off, it's a pain in the ass and don't even mention developing for Android VR, that's terrible. Compare it to normal unity where you just hit play and that's it.

So yeah, developing for VR is more frustrating but it's not like there's another way to make VR applications so if that's what you like, go ahead. The VR market is still new and people haven't figured out most things yet (specially locomotion) so there's a lot of room for innovation.