[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 51 KB, 975x1300, Questions guy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
699342 No.699342 [Reply] [Original]

Questions Thread:
Fucked up the OP edition

Got a question about anything? Have multiple questions? Ask them here!

>> No.699343

When did you suck your first cock?

>> No.699354

Inb4 flooded by blendlets

>> No.699360
File: 69 KB, 752x547, screencaprobo01.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I want to make low poly modular buildings, which could be used in building a town. I want all buildings to share one texture map.
I would like to know what is a good ratio of triangles to pixels. As in if I have for example a wall that could be build of 3 units wide and one unit high, should I have the mesh be split into 3 quads with each sharing a 1 to 1 texture space, or have one quad that is 1x3 and have that part of texture 1x3 as well.
Basically is it better to have 1 quad with 32 by 96 pixels, or 3 quads with 32 by 32 pixels. Obviously it would be scaled up a lot, if I am not clear in my description, let me know and I will do my best to clarify

Pic not mine

>> No.699367

>>699360
Look into trim sheets. Then just set up your model's UVs accordingly. Maybe have part of the texture be dedicated to trim sheet stuff, then like towards the bottom have things that can't use them, like manhole covers or other little graphics. Then be creative with your textures by editing colors with overlays and shit.
As far as size stuff goes, just try to maintain a uniform texel density as much as you can. On your texture, just make things all relative as best you can as well.

>> No.699378

>>699367
that doesn't answer the question though. Trim sheets is how I was going to do it, but question is if e.g. look at image >>696171
the cross section of the tree trunk was copied and pasted 15 on full length of the texture for 15 cross sections, and on model that is one rectangle, but it could have been one tree cross section, so 1/15 of the texture length on 15 squares.

It's texture size vs model triangle number.

>> No.699379

>>699354
Rent free

>> No.699380

>>699367
>Then be creative with your textures by editing colors with overlays and shit.
Your post has some good info, but can you elaborate on this part please? I'm not sure what you mean.

>> No.699381

>>699360
is this for game boy?

>> No.699384
File: 456 KB, 2324x1558, Colors.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>699380
Just mix in a color to your diffuse map before you send it into a shader.
I'm using the "hue" blending mode in this case, but you can play around with the blending modes to find what works.

>inb4 Blender
I'm sure this is pretty simple to do in just about any 3d software.

You could even go a step further and set up a gradient of colors to pick from randomly. So each object will be differently colored based on the range you have in the gradient.

>> No.699385

What's the best tool/method for character animation, second-only-to mocap which is outside of my reach?
How do I learn it best?

>> No.699387

>>699381
no, but I want to pretend... I just want to make it properly. I know you can say that it doesn't matter, but I would like to know which on is better and when one way is better than the other.

>> No.699391

>>699385
The answer will depend on your intended application. But the goto method is obviously classic keyframe animation using a IK/FK character rig.

Another option is to drive animations thru custom scripted rigs utilizing any input devices (mouse, keyboard, game controllers etc) possibly in conjunction with physics simulation to create a digital marionette that can act out the animation you need.

Best way to learn it is to clear up the coming ten years in your calendar and start reading and practicing anything and everything you can find on the subject.

>> No.699396

Why are you still not making money from India?
https://www.fiverr.com/share/0wDd2

>> No.699410

>>699385
You can film a scene and then directly animate on top of it, basically like a 2d rotoscoping but with 3D.
Procedural animation is also a thing. Use procedurals as base, keyframes on top.

>> No.699428

Do I need to bake a normal map for a plain subdivided sphere or does it add nothing. Any way to just add normal map chamfers to a cube too without having to bake it. Don't know if I am explaining it right. Baking takes so long for basic stuff.

>> No.699448
File: 97 KB, 800x800, 1549400710877.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>699396
>Superb Pixel and Colors

>> No.699459
File: 2.79 MB, 300x252, 1565488188164.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How the ever loving FUCK do I get into UV unwrapping? Ive just made a highpoly character and have no idea where to begin. I'm not walking through the tutorial minefield again, anybody got a good primer video/playlist?

>> No.699471

>>699428
No, you don't need unique normal maps for that. Face weighted normals is what you need. Search for polycount wiki it has a lot of info. When you understand how it works find plugins for your software of choice.

>> No.699490

>>699459
You don't wanna UV map something too dense. For a classic UV unwrap of something 'highpoly' you would do it at the subdiv zero level where the polycount is manageable, like ~100K poly type range max.

If you have a asset with millions of polygons you wanna texture use tech like PTEX instead.

Don't expect UV-unwrapping to be something you get done very quickly, esp not the first few times you try it. Unwrapping a character cleanly can be a several hour long process even with experience, have patience.

>> No.699493

I want Models-Resource models fully rigged and operational in Daz Studio / DAZ3D. How do?

>> No.699498

>>699490

alright. Thanks anon.

>> No.699529

does intersecting geometry slows down render time?
i dont mean millions of polygons, a whole object into the middle of another object. im talking more in terms of bottom or a corner of one object being couple of centimeters into another

>> No.699550

>>699529
No.
If you're using raytracing, those rays won't go through the object to see the other one, except in the places it's poking through.
Plenty of modellers just say fuck it and make things with intersecting objects instead of doing it cleanly.

It works just fine in game engines as well, though I don't know the mechanics. Probably they draw them anyway, but if it's not super dense it doesn't matter. Engines are good at pushing polygons.

>> No.699557

>>699529
no, it won't slowdown your render nor does it really matter.

>> No.699604

how do i get started? everything is so intimidating and scary, especially the technical parts

>> No.699605

>>699604
just have fun. It's ok to mess up, so don't expect yourself to get everything right.

>> No.699620

>>699605
>It's ok to mess up
Messing up is preferable even. You can learn a lot just by winging it and googling/making a post asking how to fix whatever you fucked up.

>> No.699668

Genuinely confused with animation transferring between different rigs in Maya.

Got a bunch of Maya ASCII files as well as some bvh files. Manage to either import or convert them to fbx to use in Maya with my own defined rig.

The only way I can use the animations from these files is by changing the target to the other character.

However, I'd like to copy the keyframes from one rig, to another.

No idea how

>> No.699673

Anyone have some good particle/fibermesh hair tutorials?
I get how to make hair, in blender, generally. But I have no idea how hair works cos I'm a fucking baldlet.

So I mean like, maskignot parts of the scalp, creating new particles, combing, hide, repeat, etc etc. Any good tutorials that cover the process of why certain areas work?

Zbrush or blender okay, I'm not really looking for software specific but general hair creation tips.
Realistic preffered, not cartoony/anime.

>> No.699863
File: 114 KB, 890x1390, UV issue.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hey guys, I'm having a problem and I don't really know what's up.
Is there any way in Substance Painter to have shit like blur only blur inside the islands? Pic related has the blur cross over into a separate UV island which is obviously not what I want. Kinda makes the blur and the other blur filters useless. I know it's possible to just mask it out with a paint layer over the top, but it seems like something that shouldn't need to be done.
Any help appreciated.

>> No.700147

Anyone know why roughness get's fucked up when importing textures from Substance Painter into Blender?
Things would look perfectly fine in SP, but get way too glossy in Blender.
Am I exporting in the wrong file format or what (PNG 8bit)? I could do 16bit, but honestly things don't look that different since the 8bit output is dithered.

>> No.700148

>>700147
Gonna ask the obvious, do you need to invert the texture, but forgot to do it?

>> No.700149

How do I go from zBrush to Substance painter? I don't understand much about UVs. A simplified explanation would be appreciated

>> No.700150

does Substance really not have a way to apply a gradient from the top down in global space irregardless of UVs? seems like it should

>> No.700152

>>700149

You would need a fairly low poly model for substance painter. If you want an easy uv solution look up unfold 3d or Use 3d coat to do uv's.

>> No.700157

>>700148
Nah it ain't that.
inverting does exactly what you'd expect and fucks everything.
Most of the time I have to throw a color ramp after to dial it in by bringing the black color closer to gray. So something is up where it's all offset or something. Using non-color as well,l.

>> No.700159

>>700147

Blender is shit.

>> No.700160

>>700150
Like without using the position filter?

>> No.700161

>>700159
Wow! Great contribution faggot. That really helps.
Ctrl-Z yourself.

>> No.700163

>>700161
he's not wrong to be fair

>> No.700165

>>700157
>bringing the black color closer to gray
A gamma issue? Gloss/rough should be linear, make sure it's being written and read as such. Painter can be a bit fucky with that sometimes.

>> No.700166

>>700160
oh you mean like apply a layer via position map? I'll try it

>> No.700168
File: 338 KB, 2004x748, positional blending.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>700163
He's not (to a degree), but I gotta work with what I got, and what I know. If someone can't make something halfway decent regardless of software, they're a shit artist. Blender has a ton of hangups and shit implementation in places, but it's possible to supplement them in other places with other software (which is what I'm doing).

>>700165
Yeah that sounds like it could be the issue. Where would I specify the linear interpolation in SP? Pretty sure Blender already uses linear as default when importing maps.

>>700166
Yeah, there's a position filter when you're doing masks. The mask generator/builder has a positional filter as well, which means you can use it plus the curvature and other shit on top. That's why the position maps are baked.

>> No.700170

>>700168
>That's why the position maps are baked.
makes a lot of sense, I didn't realize how useful they could be

>> No.700171

>>700170
Yeah they're pretty useful, but I honestly find them a bit difficult to use at times. They can be pretty touchy, and it can be hard sometimes to get them exactly where you want and blended right.
For those times I just use a gradient fill, then move and scale it in the 2d/UV view.
Then if it's over anything I don't want, just mask it out with a paint layer on top. The paint layer isn't very procedural, but I don't know of another good way to do it. Mainly because I don't know every little in and out of SP.

>> No.700174

>>700168
>Where would I specify the linear interpolation in SP?
Hm, I thought it was possible to specify that by output, but apparently it can only be done on Designer. Anyway, I output a couple of normal maps in PNG and EXR format, and it seems that Painter is baking the sRGB gamma for PNG. You could try to use EXR to force linear export, or tell Blender to linearize the map.

>> No.700175

>>700174
*Actually, I think the correct way is to tell Blender to take the map as linear and not do any gamma correction. This shit always confuses me.

>> No.700176

>>700174
Yeah I just did a test on my own and Painter is definitely baking sRGB for the Roughness/Metallic maps. Which is honestly pretty weird. You'd think it'd force grayscale on those no matter what.
Switching to EXR and forcing linear seems to have done the trick. Thanks.

>> No.700188
File: 30 KB, 694x442, images (49).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>699673
>Anyone have some good particle/fibermesh hair tutorials?
>I get how to make hair, in blender, generally. But I have no idea how hair works cos I'm a fucking baldlet.
>So I mean like, maskignot parts of the scalp, creating new particles, combing, hide, repeat, etc etc. Any good tutorials that cover the process of why certain areas work?
>Zbrush or blender okay, I'm not really looking for software specific but general hair creation tips.
>Realistic preffered, not cartoony/anime.

>> No.700189

>>700157
I have started making textures for blender and Daz and have noticed this also, especially problematic with Daz cos you can't add a ramp so usually I have to tweak each roughness map in PS.

I don't know what it is, even when I export relatively high roughness from SP, it's like they lighten it on the export

>> No.700191

>>700176
Do you mean you are exporting them as EXR?

>> No.700201

>>700191
Not him, but I export everything from Substance in EXR. Saves a few headaches, and there's always the option of converting to a more adequate format/bitdepth if needed.

>> No.700206

How do you texture film assets? How does the workflow differ between texturing for offline rendering vs realtime?
I have a decent understanding on how to texture for games, but I haven't got a clue on what the standard workflow is for movies/films. Do they still use image textures, or is it all procedural? Are there any differences in how you unwrap assets? I don't even know where to begin looking for this information.

>> No.700211

>>700206
Heavy use of UDIMs. Procedural is helpful for any workflow, and should be used as much as possible before going in and putting human touches on something to finalize it.
Texture sizes and stuff are a bit more lenient, but efficiency and economy are still important. It's often times just easier to add another UDIM tile than to bother trying to pack things into a UV map as efficiently as possible though.

>> No.700238

Is there something like this in maya?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFOmq6j2LBA

I've been trying to use lattices but it's not the same.

>> No.700241

>>700206
Look up Mari tutorials. Mari is pretty much the industry standard in texturing for big budget films.

>> No.700243

>>700201
Wanna explain why, to someone who doesn't know much about different file formats aside from png vs jpeg

>> No.700265

>>700243
Using EXR ideally saves everything in linear gamma, so it's more comfortable (to me) to later load the textures without worrying too much about which gamma curve was used. PNG and other formats that save with an sRGB gamma rely on the export software for doing the gamma encoding, and this is a point of possible failure for a pipeline where consistent color/values are desired.

Then there's the issue of bit-depth and precision. EXR allows you to use 32-bit float per channel, which is a lot of precision for things that may benefit from it, like displacement maps, Z-maps, vector data in general, etc. Of course you can also reduce bit-depth in EXR for certain textures (and it should generally be done, like for example with diffuse or roughness maps). PNG can use up to 16-bit integer per channel, which afaik is comparable in range to 32-bit float, but has less precision where it matters -- in low-to-mid values. In other words, high values are given the same space (in the field of representable values) as lower ones, but they aren't used as much, especially for visual data; and, for non-visual data, most of the time it's between -1 and 1, where float has the most precision.

You can also store different planes in one EXR file (think diffuse + specular + sss render passes, or really any arbitrary data you want to export), which can make your work more streamlined, especially when compositing.

>> No.700266

how do i challenge one of the 5 masters of lowpoly in order to take their seat?

>> No.700344

What exactly is the deal with those japanese MMD videos, specifically the highly-detailed dance ones? Do they actually hand-animate all those or do they just attach premade dance scripts to the models? It's bizarre seeing such good movement alongside obvious physics errors, clipping, etc and generally anything that isn't a dance video in MMD is very amateurish by comparison.

>> No.700346

>>700344
I have no idea but if I had to guess i'm pretty sure it's all hand animated. Typically you'll see western MMD users or nips trying to make a meme produce a result that looks like shit. But I think the nips who really like their robot music will go autistically far for their vocaloid waifu. It makes sense to me since you can take a look at other weeb mediums and it's pretty similar. Westerners attempt to mimick nip magic but always looks like shit. Whereas hikikomori try really hard and produce really great stuff

>> No.700354

>>700266
You have to defeat all their lieutenants first.
Maybe have a hard time with the first few, then finish off the rest in a music montage.
After that, you'll probably have an Earth shattering secret reveal dumped on you that makes you question everything you've done thus far, and completely changes your arc for the rest of the series. But at least you'll get some sick power boosts, and make friends with your rivals.

>> No.700368

>>700344
Most of the time it's
>they just attach premade dance scripts to the models
, but someone needs to create the dance scripts in the first place, right? Just like with 3D models and everything else, there are people who make and share motion data.
There are 3 general ways to go about it:
- creating animation from scratch. Requires actual animation knowledge and/or a lot of experience to be able to produce good results.
- loading up a video in the background and tracing it. Relatively easier, but still requires basic animation knowledge.
- motion capture. Not often used by hobbyists for obvious reasons, but video games, live concerts, and other professionally made stuff usually use motion data created with motion capture. Sometimes that professionally made motion data is made publicly available, for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3E5fb39xcs (a good motion data spawns tons of videos, so it's basically free promotion), sometimes it's ripped from the games, and there are some people with a Kinect setup who produce motion captured animation on a non-professional level.

>physics errors, clipping
Often it can't be helped, physics is MMD's weakest spot, however many people are very fucking lazy and can't bother to adjust the motion data for the models they use with it (and videos made by these people also tend to look bad overall, even if they use good models and motion/camera data).
On another note, there's a tendency that people who make good looking MMD videos usually don't create the assets they use themselves (and if they do make something it's usually stages or effects), while good 3D modelers and animators usually make very basic non-notable videos if any at all.

>> No.700369

>>700346
While there are Western MMD users who make good things, from videos to motion data and models, in general the Western MMD scene is cancer incarnate infested with 14-years-old drama queens who don't produce anything worth of note, but upload minor edits of other people's work to DeviantArt and create uproar if you don't credit them as if they created these things themselves (and own the rights to the copyrighted work when they distribute game rips) and don't ask their permission to use them first.
Sometimes you hear shit like "a-at least the West makes the best use of assets created by the Japanese", but 90% of the time good videos/models/edits/motions/effects come from Japan and China, and in case with 3D models it's closer to 99,9%.

>> No.700424

Looking for compositing software with a denoise algo tuned for animation (to avoid spending my life rendering at high sample rate to get rid of fireflies)

Intel Open Image Denoise looks promising using different render passes to feed the algo, because it only aware of one frame at a time it does not handle animation well.

Any idea of what software/plugins I should be looking at?

>> No.700436

I'm interested in animating in my free time, but I figured I'd learn modeling first. I've been playing around in Blender and I've got three questions:
1. Dynotopo is really convenient for sculpting shit from scratch, but is there a point in crafting a mesh where I should turn it off and continue with a different method?
2. When doing a retopo of a high poly mesh intended for animation, to what extent can I use triangles to maintain clean topology?
3. I get that eyeballs and similiar objects have to be separate from the main mesh, but that aside what are the major downsides of a single mesh character?

>> No.700445
File: 204 KB, 519x516, how.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

how do I get the texture (with the line painted in the middle, on the left) to be exactly the same as on the right? preferably while painting, not applying the texture after, but how to do either would be great. I can't figure it out

>> No.700494

rig low poly->transfer weights to high poly, or rig high poly->transfer weights to low poly? in both scenarios I'm going to use corrective morphs, but which will give me the least trouble while rigging?

>> No.700497

>>700445

Map all those squares to the same uv space or use some kind of radial symmetry in whatever program you are using.

>> No.700536

Is Maya 2009 enough for learning and general usage in the current year or should I pirate the latest version available? Is there a big difference in the tools/workflow?

>> No.700539

>>700536
If there's even half as much difference between current maya and 2009 maya as there is between current maya and 2009 blender, then 2009 maya will be an atrocity in comparison.

>> No.700544

>>700536
yes, there is a huge difference. Get the latest version.

>> No.700575

What are the best tutorials on substance painter? A lot of them have mediocre results so I'm not sure If learning from them would be a good idea.

>> No.700582

>>700575
The ones in Allegorithmic (RIP) YouTube channel.

>> No.700589

how feasible would it be to become a full-time freelance 3d designer? what kind of things would you be designing?

>> No.700705

>>700575

learning how to use the tool and learning how to use the tool to do what you want to do are two different things.

for example painter (and everything leading up to it) will be different if you are texturing models for a game, for an animation or for a static render.

>> No.700764

>>700575
The one with the lantern on the official YT channel is a good way to get yourself up and running. After that you really just have to get down and dirty with it.
Once you understand how to build things up (on the Substance tutorial), you just throw things at it and see what sticks. Eventually you'll get the hang of it.

The best advice I can give is to think about your object as much as possible. You could throw base mats on there and be "done" but that's only like 5% of your work.
Think about how your object is assembled, and how things are layered. Is there metal under paint? or is it wood?

I ask myself a bunch of questions when texturing.
What's on top of everything, is something growing on it? How has the elements treated it, who's messed with it and touched it, and where? Where might your object get beat up, or scratched from moving around or bumping into things? How old is your object, how would things look compared to it being brand new?

If you want to get even deeper, you can think about your character if it's something they'd use. Is the person using it clumsy, or are they careful and meticulous? Do they take good care of their stuff, or could they care less? Were they recently somewhere it could get dirty, did they try to clean that off? Do they augment their object with personal stuff (initials, insignias, personal marks)?
You can have the personality of a character augmented by the way their tools and stuff look. Which can give some extra information about them without delving into obvious tropes.

It's one thing to throw premade materials and stuff on it, and it'll probably look alright where it is in a scene, but if you take that extra work to really ground it in your scene and have a history to the object, it really helps.

>> No.700785

Does anyone know if there is a cracked version of Octane renderer above 3.07.
From what I can tell 3.07 literally can't support RTX cards, so it can't support my RTX 2080ti. Does anyone know if I am doomed and have to pay ((them)) 20 fucking bucks a month as a subscription?
Rutracker and common trackers I use don't have them.

>> No.700787

>>700582
>>700589
>>700764
Thanks for replying. Especially >>700764 is pretty exhaustive. Thank you for spending your time I really appreciate it. Will try to keep all this in mind.

>> No.700893

How do I properly do low poly arms for rigging? I'm good with the elbows, but struggling with armpits. I'm starting from tpose and want them to look natural when arms are lowered, but it barely works.

Does anyone have any good image tuts, references or tips on that?

>> No.700894
File: 128 KB, 683x485, 1493151639245.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>700893

Some images are in the sicky. T pose only looks good with muscle based loops imo. With clothes or arms down you can use bendy tube.

>> No.700896

>>700894
Yeah, I was thinking of merging some loops on the arm to get more 1-ish topo. I'll just go with it. Thanks.

>> No.700933

If I want to apply shading to a low poly model without revealing just how blocky/triangular it is, is there a way to do that with a shader or should I just manually emulate some shading using textures?

>> No.700973

Any idea how these visuals were made? What techniques/software should I look into to make something in the same vein?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyUCtd6rrWw (1:18 and 3:55)

>> No.700983

>>700973
Cinema 4D probably, beginner tier.

>> No.700985

>>700973
>>700983
Also consider Derivative TouchDesigner, which is more of a specialized tool for that.

>> No.701026

does anyone know where to find references for human proportions? "16 year old girl in bikini" is an incredibly perverted google search, when all i want is to find references for body proportions.

>> No.701030

I would like to ask about the models they use in 3d porn based on video game characters etc.

Are they ripped from the game and modified or they are custom made?

>> No.701035

What the fuck are nurbs? What are they used for?

>> No.701037

>>701030
>Are they ripped from the game and modified or they are custom made?
they usually rip the model, then stitch the head poorly to a daz model.

>> No.701038

>>701037
I see. Thank you. I have always wondered how they get them.

>> No.701073

>>701026
Yeah champ, just for references. We believe you. Check VSCO.

>> No.701085
File: 312 KB, 389x386, 1560996500700.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Do I need to know how to draw to make my references?

>> No.701108

>>701085
>Do I need to know how to draw to draw my references?
You can try to photobash them or use other people's work as a base and modify it enough to not get caught, but that's really just avoiding the issue. You need to know your proportions, anatomy and all other fundamentals for 3D as much as you need it for 2D.

>> No.701247
File: 97 KB, 462x525, problem.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone has any good materials on skirt rigging? What's the best approach?

>> No.701248

>>701247
I would just shapekey as needed, depending on what you're looking for.

>> No.701253

>>701248
I guess I'll check them out, thanks. I just want the lower part of the tunic to not cut the legs. There's no advanced cloth movement planned for this, just running and couple of stances.

>> No.701260

>>701247
>>701253
For something like this you can either transfer the weights from the body to the cloth or use the weights from a proxy mesh, I can't really remember which is better. Check youtube, there should definitely be a tutorial on there about this.

>> No.701261
File: 58 KB, 500x384, proportions.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>701026

>> No.701274

Anyone have a good roadmap for learning 3D? Like first learn modelling, then texturing, then lighting etc etc until I've learned it all.

Looking for a complete guide to essentials to know

>> No.701275

>>701274
read the sticky you goddamn moron

>> No.701290

>>701275
I did. If I just wanted tutorials, I would have asked for them

>> No.701294

>>701290
sorry for calling u a moron i just feel angry today and i like to say stuff like that

if u dont know ANYTHING AT ALL, get a subscription and do this https://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/tutorials/introduction-to-maya-2019

it'll teach a little bit of everything and u can branch out from there

also research what kinda career you'd want then do that shit

>> No.701303

>>701274

I don't know what you want to do but you already laid it out.

>> No.701310
File: 358 KB, 945x1359, 01135ef2eed11164995782050960da8a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone know how if its possible to get the shadows to render from the alphas and not the haircards in substance painter?

>> No.701311

>>701260
>transfer the weights from the body to the cloth
I can't do that alone. Whenever I set it up it's either making tunic cut through the pants or bend in a wrong way, like they're just another layer of pants.
> use the weights from a proxy mesh
I'll look into it

>> No.701334

Learning to retopo
Is it best to start with the outer/difficult areas first, like do a border of sorts, then connect the centers?
Appreciate any really basic retopo fundementals videos if you got them

Trying to do something simple at the moment but it's got some bits and it's a little overwhelming, I'm not sure where the best place to start is cos I realise I get about halfway then I'm at a difficult spot or

>> No.701350

>>701334
I've asked like three times already and this board doesn't care.

>> No.701351 [DELETED] 

>>701350
Usually that's why I make new threads instead, it works, just do that.
Also some life advice, try to alter the way you word your complaints so you don't come across as a petulant tranny who hasn't been able to dilate in two weeks.

>> No.701367

>>701334
Edge loops. all the major areas of topology should be walled off by them, around the eyes, mouth,nose,neck,shoulders,wrist,fingers, waist,hips,top of leg.

then join those together either by keeping the number of faces constant or doing 4-2 reductions.

Think about the body as a series of tubes, the edge loops make up the ends of the tubes.

only 3 types of connection.
3 point stars, 4 point stars(these are the most common) and 5 point stars.
if you have 6+points you will get pinching that looks like shit.

look at the flippednormals youtube tut for retopo.

>> No.701372

>>701310

Are you using spec gloss because they fucked opacity again so I found no way of fixing it. Even getting something like a 1 sided skirt to show as 2 sided is cumbersome now. Metalness is supposed to be better for opacity in it, guess I have to switch over.

>> No.701462

>>701372
Nope i'm using roughness. Metalness isn't even in the layer stack at the minute.

>> No.701469
File: 1.54 MB, 230x230, 1546628520888.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Am I getting it right and the only fully featured non-CAD 3DCG software that has the essential function of snapping tools to grid, for example the cut/knife tool before starting to make a cut, is Maya? Not even 3ds Max, but supposedly specialized in character modeling and animation Maya?

>> No.701471
File: 240 KB, 1617x858, snapping.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>701469
Ofcourse not, max has had snapping since forever. you need to open the grid and snap settings and tell max what kind of snapping you wanna use.

>> No.701477
File: 51 KB, 770x1034, 9 years later.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>701471
Okay, that's good to hear.
I just got frustrated with Blender again, this time because of not being able to snap knife to grid and not having any alternative that doesn't involve wasting time on jumping through multiple hoops. I googled around a bit to see what program does allow you to do it, but apparently it's not something people talk about, I only found a confirmation for Maya.

>> No.701513
File: 177 KB, 679x678, EXR left PNG right.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>700265
Thanks for this btw. I did some tests myself, same maps plugged into the same nodes.
The EXR maps came out very similar to the substance model while the PNGs were way off.

>> No.701519

>>701513
Is this coca cola bottle swimsuit?

>> No.701522

Fiddledeedee

>> No.701524

>>701519
Yes coke asked me to do it

>> No.701529

The sticky got fucked up, are they gonna update it?

>> No.701536

When people talk about poly counts (for simplicity, on a mesh only made of quads), are they referring to verts, faces or tris?

>> No.701540

>>701536
It variates, but when someone mentions polycount for a realtime asset and understands why they're mentioning it they will mean the triangle count.

>> No.701573

How do you guys deal with burnout when needing to finish a project? I am sick of looking at this project im working on and just close max soon after opening and roating the model around for a bit. I need to get it done before the 30th of this month and i feel im not going to get it done in time.

>> No.701575

>>701573
Power through it "just to be done with it", or take a day off.

>> No.701581

>>701575
Yeah, I guess i just need to get on it. I am always tired from my real job and when I get home sometimes the last thing I want to do is more "work" so I just play games instead.
I will start with a couple hours tonight

>> No.701582

Guys, what would be a good small sized monitor or screen I could use for reference pictures?
I have 2 monitors but I think a smaller one that is moveable would be useful?
Do you guys use tablets for that? any recommendations for cheaper ones?

>> No.701600

>>701582
I'm using an old 13 inches one and I can tell you it isn't enough, despite what she said. Especially for HD content, like tutorials. Perhaps 17 inches would work better, but I don't really know. What I know is that 13 inches is too small.

>> No.701652

Anyone have recommendations for hard surface modeling? I've been following the Digital Tutor's tuts for modeling complex shapes, but some parts feel a bit lacking.

>> No.701654

>>701652
Check out Grant Warwick's course.

>> No.701660

is this workflow for substance correct?

create clothing > export low poly > export hi poly > open low poly in sp > bake hi poly in sp > do my textures > export textures > apply textures back in original program (blender) > then export the low poly again with textures applied for my final item to use/reuse/use elsewhere

>> No.701662

>>701660
sorry the important part that i actualy meany to add was, i export both the lo and the hi to substance triangulated
but then i export the final after the textures have been applied not triangulated
thats correct, right?

>> No.701663

>>701654
Thank you!

>> No.701667

>>701662
What benefit do you gain from triangulating your substance mesh?

>> No.701675

Any good courses/tutorials for learning how to sculpt realistic humans?

>> No.701684
File: 61 KB, 730x735, IMG_20190923_122345.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>701662
I don't see a problem as long as your smoothing groups and uv shells are correct. Except If by auto triangulation you're getting pic related then do it manually. It might add some distortion when baking your maps. You can also add support loops to meshes like cylinders to fight distortion and delete them after baking and texturing is done.

>> No.701685
File: 59 KB, 1020x828, IMG_20190923_125236.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>701684
Cont.
Here is distorted normal map after baking hp with a floater. Actually the most important things are smoothing groups with uv shells in my opinion.
You can read this
https://polycount.com/discussion/107196/youre-making-me-hard-making-sense-of-hard-edges-uvs-normal-maps-and-vertex-counts

Didn't read this one but op mentions blender(which you're using)
https://forum.unity.com/threads/normal-mapped-beveled-edges-look-weird.320796/

>> No.701687

>>701667
I had heard it's best to tria gulate the mesh before taking it into substance painter

>> No.701689

>>701687
Damn I didn't know about it
https://docs.substance3d.com/spdoc/unreal-engine-4-144998459.html

>> No.701691

>>701675

Scott Eatons Anatomy for Artists
Rafael Grassetti Anatomy & Design Package

>> No.701713

>>701691
Thanks!

>> No.701723

Anyone got any torrent for blender scuplting courses or yansculpts courses?

>> No.701747
File: 69 KB, 1719x837, col.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Left is a base color texture from Substance Designer, right is the same texture when imported to UE4. What is happening here and why is it so much brighter? How do I fix it?

>> No.701750

>>701747
Holy shit, I meant RIGHT* is from SD and LEFT* is in UE4. Doesn't matter, there's a huge difference, but only with a base color.

>> No.701756

>>701747

Something to do with srgb maybe.

>> No.701758

>>701750
>>701756

Exporting as .tga solved the problem. .png doesn't work properly for some reason.

>> No.701760

>>701747
Check your colorspace

>> No.701764

>>701758
Yeah read up some in the thread. Apparently a lot of people have been having problems with Substance and PNG. EXR helped in my case, and on some files it's actually smaller, but it has way more information in it. Go figure.

>>701667
>>701687
It's just so you have control over where your mesh triangulates. Maybe in substance it does it differently than you'd want, and it would bake the AO or something making it look weird. It's a similar case, but not the same, for when you import meshes into a game engine. Some people don't care, but there's sometimes where you'll have problems if you don't do it.
For what it's worth, I never triangulate into SP if I don't have to, and it usually comes out looking fine.

>> No.701767

Temporal noise reduction.
What plugin/software can I get to reduce animation render time, using less samples and cleaning up afterward?

Bonus points for anything like the open intel denoiser that takes select AOV passes into consideration. (but is shit at doing animation)

>> No.701822
File: 104 KB, 1880x698, screen.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What sort of topology should I use to get the high poly to form hard edges like the low poly without distorting the surrounding area? I tried fixing it for around half an hour but my subdivision modeling skills are too shit to do it.

>> No.701823

>>701822
start by posting a better image, zoomed out a bit, , i cant make out what your fucking problem is.

you want to subd but have it look hardsurfaced? just put loops close to the corners

>> No.701827
File: 171 KB, 964x1606, screen.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>701823
The bottom picture, that selected face should be a flat surface, the other selected edges should be tightly creased without disturbing the surrounding geometry. Not fucking up the surroundings is where I'm running into problems.

>> No.701879
File: 227 KB, 641x537, fix.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>701822
>>701823
>>701827

>> No.701893

>>701767
Altus does it, I think it takes AOVs into consideration. Haven't tried it tho.

You could also try Neat Video, it's not made for 3D originally but it works well.

>> No.701894

how do you quickly make basic rigs for unity store?
for example here
https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/humanoids/jimmy-stylized-pbr-soldier-123684?aid=1011l3ogR&cid=1100l6zGLDdF&utm_source=aff

its compatible with animation bought from store.
there must be some fast way to do this as opposed to rigging every bone by hand right?

>> No.701904

how to open .ma file without maya?

>> No.701931

>>701894

I think it's Maya autorig. I know that's compatible with unity. Unity has an inbuilt thing too called Mecanim.

>> No.701936

is ripping from sketchfab impossible again?

>> No.701985

>>701904
you simply don't.

>> No.702011
File: 1.89 MB, 4019x3117, prop3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>701879
That didn't get the level of sharpness I needed, thanks for the effort though. I've decided to just watch Arrimus 3Ds full topology series because this area is much more difficult to model than I first realized.

>> No.702247
File: 145 KB, 647x370, Snek.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is there a way to have some kind of 'reverse' anti-aliasing effect to give a render in mental ray the same pixelated look as ps1 games?

>> No.702250
File: 102 KB, 724x960, roughness.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I noticed two video tutorials where they mention keeping specular at half and only changing roughness. anybody familiar with this? What I'm trying to do is find a roughness sheet or breakdown so i can just colorpick the corresponding value to whatever material i want.

>> No.702270

>>702247
Yeah anon it is a very exotic anti aliasing effect called 'no antialiasing'.

I'd opt for the classic scanline renderer in max or the software renderer in maya rather than mentalray tho, less things to disable to achieve what you want and prob faster to render it in the end if you're gonna make long segments.

>> No.702271
File: 1.32 MB, 1330x2884, how to starfox starwing starve a image back to shit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>702247
>>702270
Many solar revolutions ago I made this short tutorial for one of your forerunners how to make software look like 30 years ago in max.

>> No.702278
File: 43 KB, 901x467, 1552177891174.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>702250
Find the IOR of the material, put it in the formula, set specular accordingly. Or just go with the default (4 % reflectivity), which is correct enough for 98% non-metal materials.

>> No.702373

>>699342
How do you fix overlapping faces in 3Ds max? I can't do one-by-one because there are a lot.

>> No.702389

In 3DS MAX, how do I weld two vertices together where one vertex does not move and the other moves all the way to that unmoving vertex to complete the weld? Like one vertex is static and the other vertex moves to it. Every time I weld, both vertices move equal distances to connect to eachother in the middle

>> No.702390

>>702389
select the vertex you want to move and target weld it to the vertex you want to stay static

>> No.702391

>>702373
TurboSquid Tools

>> No.702395

>>702390
thanks!

>> No.702403

>>702391
Thanks.

>> No.702404

Does the arnold renderer have a directional light? like aidirectionallight or something idk.

>> No.702410

>>702404
No, but you can use the standard directional light from Maya without problems afaik.

>> No.702411

>>702404
If you're in Maya you can use a default directional light and it will show up in your render.

>> No.702459

>>702404
>>702410
>>702411

something better than what these guys are saying, use the arnold area light and in the attribute editor change the Light Shape to cylinder and lower the Spread

>> No.702539

In Maya, is there a way to quantify things in meters? I have an easier time understanding dimensions if they reflect real life.

>> No.702563

>>702539
>Maya's default measurement units are in Metric (centimeters, millimeters) but you can set them to Imperial (inches, feet) in the Settings preferences Working Units section.
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2019/ENU/Maya-Customizing/files/GUID-C5A6B812-9ECF-4A87-A7D3-D434348DCCD5-htm.html

>> No.702564

How can I import models from Blender to UE4 with a proper scale? I don't know if anything changed with 2.8 or I just got used to working with Unity for a while and forgot what to do, but I can't figure out the proper export/import settings anymore. I just tried like 50 times with different combinations and nothing works, it's always massive or microscopic.

>> No.702574

>>702564

FFS matching scale 101.
Export a series of cubes with known sizes. 1,10,100,1000
import them and see which one is the right size.
now you know what factor you need to alter the export by to get the right results.
if you are using burger units that are not metric, go fuck yourself.

>> No.702581

>>702574
What a rude and useless comment. First of all, of course I tried to do everything what you said, and I am using metric units.

Anyway, I just found a solution - something changed with new versions of UE4 and unchecking "Transform vertex to absolute" in UE4's import settings fixes the problem. No need to change Blender's default settings.

>> No.702629

>>702563
Thanks, I feel like a retard, but I deserve that.

>> No.702648

Are there any new versions of 3dcoat that don't have a fucking crypto miner patch. Seriously considering buying the amateur version on steam.

>> No.702673

Has anybody ever tried making a "multiplayer" mode in a 3D software? As in two people editing the same file at the same time from different computers. Sounds like an interesting clusterfuck.

>> No.702675

>>702673
The closest you can do to this is sharing files through GIT. Mind you, what you are suggesting is a very difficult thing to do, and so far the best you can do is edit text together.

>> No.702688

>Did 3D Animation class in high school using Maya
>Enjoyed it, but never stuck with it because I developed new interests
>Want to try it again and make a career out of it

What's the animation industry like these days? I have genuine interest in going into this field, but I've heard bad things (crunch time etc) and it puts me off. Australian btw.

>> No.702706
File: 836 KB, 1369x709, what.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

new to xGen and.. what tf is going on here? Not only does the render shows something completely different, but the preview hair located on the top of the head is going straight down through the mesh, even though the guides have a different direction.

>> No.702707
File: 1.46 MB, 1557x663, hair.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>702706
never mind, restarting the program somehow fixed it. but the hair is still piercing the skull..how can I fix this?

>> No.702758

>>701477
>snap knife to grid
why would you need this? genuine question.

>> No.702765

>>702707
Either make a collision modifier and let the sim do the work for you or fix your groom.

>> No.702807
File: 650 KB, 1571x584, Untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How should I map this so Bastila's hair is more "full"? If I multiply the output of the transparency map then her eyelashes become thick as hell

>> No.702814

how important is precision when modelling?
when I was in HS i did a class where they emphasised you needed to get all measurements exactly correct in 3D modelling, to the point where using the mouse for anything but selection was basically forbidden (since all movements had to be mathematically precise) but it seemed more oriented at CAD for real world applications than for making visual models.
do you need that same level of precision for casual modelling, or is it fair to just assume that if a model looks right, it's fine? most online tutorials seem to just suggest dragging vertices around, scaling and loop cutting until the object looks about right.

>> No.702824

Got tired of sculpting in blender with a mouse. Bought a huion 1060p, downloaded zbrush. When I try to sculpt, maybe 1/3 of my strokes seems to have a really high default pressure, so they're making huge changes on the mesh. The rest of them seem to pick up only the tiniest pressure, and to get the same level of change as the other strokes I'd have to press down really hard. I'm fine with either of these behaviours, as long as it's consistent, but it seems to randomly alternate between them, and I have yet to see anything in tutorials I'm following mentioning this. Is this a Zbrush feature that I'm unaware of? There's nothing about this in my tablet drivers, and I don't get this behaviour outside of Zbrush.

>> No.702827

>>702814
Just eyeball it.
Certain things like doors and stuff would be good to get a good measurement for because they are standardized in most places, but generally I just model with a basic human model in the scene to reference size stuff from. If it's proportional enough to a human reference it's fine.
You can go the extra mile and use real world units as well though. That way if you're modelling and your stapler is 1m long or some shit, you know it's way too big. Other than that, I opt for things looking good in my scene rather than being accurate to the millimeter.

>> No.702829

>>702814

It completely depends on what you are making.
If need to fit together with another piece like a puzzle, making modular stuff or what not then you need precision even in visual 3D but in general no of course not.

A general tip is that you do keep something in scene for scale so that you know how many unit lengths something really is.
Like if I am to model whatever I can just insert a 1.8 units tall box to get a reference of what a reference sized human will look like beside it.
This way whatever I build it'll fit with any other asset I have that are built to metric standard.

Also if you know the real world dimensions of something you build it's good habit to make sure that it actually fit the bounds of that object to ensure cohesion with other assets.
But only enter vert placements by type-ins if it makes sense doing so and it is important since developing autistic obsession with decimals is a good way to become a slow artist.

>> No.702833

I've come across the exporter (and source code for said exporter) for a certain model type for a video game circa 2003. Um, the issue is, it's written for 3ds max 4.2. Ummm, would anyone be willing to try to run the exporter for me OR link me to a copy of 3ds max 4.2? I know that's ancient but google searching has failed me and I can't find a torrent unfortunately .

>> No.702835

>>702807
Assign a separate material for the hair, add 2 output nodes for your transparency map, with different multipliers for each material

>> No.702865
File: 36 KB, 750x742, 1568595361436.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How do I get a c4d file to work in blender?

>> No.702873

>>702824

Preferences tablet z sensitivity maybe. Can the drivers do a custom pressure curve per software.

>> No.702876

>>702833

I would say It would be tough to find that.

>> No.702886

>>702865
That's impossible.

>> No.702888
File: 42 KB, 648x429, Free-C4D-3D-Model-Guitar-Hero-Controller3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>702886
Is there any way to make this usable in blender? https://www.thepixellab.net/free-c4d-3d-model-guitar-hero-controller

>> No.702892

>>702888
Install C4D, open the file, and export it to a format that Blender supports (like OBJ). Or,

Install C4D, open the file, bask for a while in the glorious power of Cinema 4D, start doing things, become good, land a job, develop a successful career in motion graphics, save enough money, enjoy your retirement in the company of family and friends, die peacefully and with no regrets, be remembered as a great family person, an amazing friend, and an outstanding fellow artist.

>> No.702897
File: 1.67 MB, 1440x900, ZBrush.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>702873
Yes, there is a custom pressure curve. I've already edited it to my liking. My issue isn't that, exactly. I just made a quick recording to best illustrate it. I make 8 strokes. The sixth and eight strokes were done with the same pressure as the other 6, but for some reason ZBrush is picking them up as if I've pressed ridiculously hard?

It's my first time using a tablet and ZBrush so honestly I don't know how to debug this issue, whether it's a tablet thing or a ZBrush thing.

>> No.702899

>>702892
>implying C4D users are any better than Blendlets
They're just as bad, if not worse. Only difference is they paid for the software. Half the time they don't even do that.

>> No.702908

>>702899
A true wizard uses both. They actually work great with each other because they can make up for each others weakness.
Its like a more easy and low level combination of Maya + Houdini.

>> No.702910

I'm trying to bake normals for a model made up of several meshes but because they are all so close together there's a ton of artifacting. Is there a way to separate them without making them all separate objects and baking a normal map for each one?
I'm using Blender if that helps.

>> No.702911

>>702910
*laughs in Substance Painter*

>> No.702912

>>702910

Use marmoset baking groups (you have to split) or like the other anon said substance painter.

>> No.702918

Using zBrush. Whats a way I can easily mimick hard surface? Just for small character details

>> No.702921 [DELETED] 
File: 1001 KB, 1043x1846, SmartSelect_20190930-152757_Gallery.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hello /g, I would like to be able to turn this switch on off from my smartphone, even program with tasker a timer and so.
What should I buy /set up? I have seen sonof but it seems to be just for smaller capacity. This is a circuit gabinet for a water heater.
Thanks

>> No.702922

>>702897

Maybe zbrush behaves funky on a mac. Is it the latest update.

>> No.702926

>>702918

Why what are you trying to do.

>> No.702933

>>702926
Looking to find an easy way to make sharp clean edges for adding robotic details, like masks and armour. Something fast

I was thinking masking with rectangle tool would be simple for straight lines, but I'm not sure what function to use to modify it to pull in or out

>> No.702934
File: 341 KB, 1920x1080, 5a8a66106a0bd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>699342
So i just want to put my waifu into Smash Brothers Brawl over Zero Suit Samus or Marth

But thing is you need 3ds Max for everything Brawl related for some reason, first of all would i be able to use XPS models in 3ds-max, and second i need a student liscense if i want 3ds Max for free, any advice?

>> No.702944

>>702814
Firstly, it's important for objects to APPEAR as though they look right in the real world, assuming your project is aiming for a semblance of realism. For example, you want a table to be about 700cm off the ground, give or take 50cm. Then you want to have the chairs be appropriate for the table.

If you see some archvis renders it can be really off putting when one object in there looks off scale.

When it comes to archvis also, if your working from CAD drawings you need to be precise, you can't just wing it and hope it looks good in the end. Sometimes bosses or clients will want to see in here or over there and if you have fucked up some measurements somewhere early on, suddenly there's no enough space for the AC unit.

So this is more from my experience from an archvis perspective but when you are doing more general art, do what feels good.
Just remember, it's good to base stuff on real world dimensions unless you are going for a look that isn't aiming for that at all.

>> No.702945

>>702933
What you are looking for for is hard surface kit bashing
Google it

>> No.702948
File: 12 KB, 539x529, lazy mouse lazy snap.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>702933

You could try the chisel brushes or dam standard with lazy radius and lazy snap cranked up. Hold shift to do straight lines. People normally concept with clay buildup and use things like masking and panel loops. Look up Pavlovich on youtube.

>> No.702956

>>702908
>they can make up for each others weakness
Where the fuck are C4D's strengths other than making low effort mograph trash?

>> No.702960

>>702956
Rendering for production shots. Notably lots of clothing/advertising marketers c4d is the product of choice.

>> No.702962

>>702944
>For example, you want a table to be about 700cm off the ground, give or take 50cm.

Damn son, that is quite a table.

>> No.702964

>>702962
>t. manlet

>> No.703056
File: 701 KB, 1280x720, 1565828106295.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>get the fancy to learn sculpting
>find out about having to retopologize your sculpture if you want to use it for games or animation
Why isn't this shit done automatically?

>> No.703059

>>703056
Computers just aren't smart enough to do it on their own yet. Use good retopology tools and it's still very fast.

>> No.703060
File: 92 KB, 1022x600, Grid.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Working with Landscape; is there a good way create a grid in the "blank" parts behind the cliff (see pic)?
The easy way would just be to add a grid and remove all intersections and connect the vertricies. This however would result in many tris and doesn't seem very elegant.

>> No.703061

>>703056

You could become a high poly attention whore on zbrush central instead.

>> No.703065

>>703056
Digital sculpting is for plebeians, create your models with the desired topology by placing vertices manually in the correct positions from the start. Only create vertex, edge and face tools are allowed if you want to achieve 3DCG enlightenment.

>> No.703073
File: 1007 KB, 2282x730, 31.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What are some better ways of reinforcing corners along a curved surface? The one on the left works well where it is, but doing the same thing on the right introduces too much new geometry and creasing. This method I'm using right now creates noticeable pinching from the pole in most cases.

>> No.703075

>>703065
Absolutely pathetic.
If you're a real pro and settled in the industry, you know the coordinates of every vertex of the model YOU HAVE IN MIND and then just write it down in notepad and save it as .obj file.

>> No.703087

I want to start learning industry standard tools, is Maya LT at $250 a year what I should get?

>> No.703106

>>703073

Edge creasing.

>> No.703107

>>703087

Just get an education Max licence to try out.

>> No.703110

>>703075
A professional doesn't do unnecessary or inefficient shit. Stop being a retard. I bet you're either the Ptex autist, or some blendlet lost through the cracks.

>> No.703117

>>703107
Sadly I'm not in school, just self teaching.

>> No.703121

>>703117
No need. Autodesk doesn't give a fuck. Just get your education license.

>> No.703129

>>703121
I was under the assumption you needed a .edu email?

>> No.703169

How do i selectively turn on wireframe for an object in 3ds max?

>> No.703175

>>703110
I think he was being facetious, anon.

>> No.703181 [DELETED] 
File: 798 KB, 1147x797, mekuri_headshot2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>699342
I was trying to retopo some hair in blender, but I noticed that the mirror modifier ended up fucking up somehow and isn't actually mirrored properly on the other side. How can I fix this?

>> No.703192

>>703129
I used my own personal domain and told them I was learning on my own. That's been a couple years ago, and I keep getting the latest versions of Maya/Max.

>> No.703196

>>702897
Bumping this for any solutions. I downloaded a copy of PS to check if it was a tablet issue and pressure sensitivity is consistent in PS. Tried an earlier version of ZBrush in case it was something with the latest version, and it behaves the same.

>> No.703197

>>703169

Click on default shading in the top left of the viewport then display selected then display selected with edged faces.

>> No.703198

>>703129

No. just lie and click in the dropdown for whatever school. They don't check.

>> No.703218

>>703106
Edge creasing just causes more artifacts even after trying various configurations without the bordering face loop or poles. It either can't get a good crease without going all the way to 1 and causing other problems or it needs more support which brings me back to the original problem.
>>703121
Is the same true of Substance?

>> No.703239
File: 32 KB, 1000x428, body edge loop flow.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How long does it usually take you to retopo a mesh?
I use front/side profile references and extrusion modelling, but I always end up with ugly edge flow in the shoulder/upper chest and the leg/hip connection, and it takes another day or so to delete faces and replace them with cleaner loops that would deform better, looking at reference images of good edge flow.

Is that a normal workflow? How do professionally made meshes end up with such perfectly smooth vertex placement? Are they all manually placed? Is it just down to experience?

>> No.703244

>>703239
>How long does it usually take you to retopo a mesh?

Depends on how familiar you are with the surface you're working with and how important it is.
If it's something intricate or highly important to get absolutely right it may take a while.
I usually spend at least one working day if I'm to retopologize a creature sculpt properly.

>I use front/side profile references and extrusion modelling

If you're talking about orthograpic tracing over a character sheet like people post in >>699203 that doesn't work.
Almost everyone try it at some point (I sure did back in the 90's) but everyone who ever attempted it have failed.
And the ones who did not realize it had failed became this guy >>699219.
There is no way the artist creating those front/side view can compensate for the distortions of when you drop something from perspective into orthograpic view.
A face in ortho should look like the face of a person you look at that is a mile away, given you could resolve it, where every line is basically parallel.

You can use those sheets as reference and to get overall proportions down but tracing them and thinking it can turn out fine is fruitless.
Experienced and skilled 3D artists be they sculptors or vertex-pushers all work almost exclusively in perspective.

>How do professionally made meshes end up with such perfectly smooth vertex placement? Are they all manually placed?

yes, but there are lot's of tricks to it like relaxing the manually placed vertices by algorithm and use soft selections to help evenly space out the curved geometry as you adjust it.

>Is it just down to experience?

Def takes a lot of experience, but that experience also includes knowing what is in the bag of tricks your software provides and how to make use of it.

>> No.703246
File: 406 KB, 1432x965, cheek pull.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>703239
>>703244
Remember I had this old image on file I posted here years ago when someone made a similar question.
Polymodeling for surfaces where you use several thousand poygons for a surface has a lot common with sculpting
in how one go about editing and tweaking such dense surfaces.

Moving around freely in perspective and moving groups of vertices in screenspace is prob the most common operation
I do while tweaking a dense poly surface.

>> No.703248
File: 1.00 MB, 2695x1745, wdd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

how the shit do I make the UV like the red lines??

>> No.703250

>>703248
>>703248
You need to subdivide the surface if you want them lines to stay anything like parallel, or invent new technology that samples texels in a fundamentally different way than how it's done today.
Your quad there is ofc actually 2 triangles. if you look at those triangles and think about it you can see that only one of them is distorted in the UV template.
So what you see on the model is the correct sampling for the texturespace of each of those triangles.

You're thinking about this as if the quad should itself distort as if it was a single face. Would be cool and useful if that was the case but it's not.

>> No.703255

>>703250
Not that anon, but the side on the right is perfectly fine though.
If it was a problem with triangles then it'd be repeated on that side too right? They have roughly the same area.

>> No.703259

>>703255
Do you see how the left/bottom triangle is spaced out decently but the right/top triangle is skewed narrowly? It's just how the texture gets sampled on a per triangle basis. The top of the triangle is narrower than the bottom, so the bottom triangle gets sampled in a way that looks wider while the top triangle gets sampled in a way that looks narrow. Adding more subdivisions would help minimise the distortion between neighbouring triangles but it'll never look perfect unless the UV map itself matches the distortion of the triangles.

>> No.703351

is there any sensible method in houdini to make a character's body have a soft collision with another character's fist?
i want to punch a dude in the face and have an impact effect. how would i do this? FEM? Vellum? do i have to make a separate head mesh from the rest of the body?
i can also do this in maya but i figured this would be more efficient in houdini.

>> No.703355

>>701462
That's metalness, you idort.
Spec/gloss is different from metal/rough (often referred to as PBR).

>> No.703357
File: 542 KB, 215x194, source.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

AdvancedSkeleton, how do you bake dynamics generated via the Dynamics menu in the Selector box?

I've got dynamics running on the rig I need to bake them down to keyframes and no matter what combination of controls, or attributes I select I get

This command requires at least 1 argument(s) to be specified or selected; found 0.

So what is it Anon what part of the rig or interface needs selecting for the 'bake' option to work.

>> No.703398

where can I find models with good game ready male and female topology for sale?

>> No.703399

>>703398
mixamo

>> No.703400

>>703399
Sorry, I meant blank or nude.

>> No.703408

>>703056
because all dev money goes to retarded shiny render and sim bullshit and not one penny towards anything functional for artists

>> No.703409

>>703355
>Spec/gloss is different from metal/rough (often referred to as PBR).

There is a nuance to this statement anon, in the most common 'PBR' shader lingo the 'roughness' is analogous to the real world effect that
'gloss' regulated, for a less physically accurate but still absolutely "physically based" 'Blinn' shader.
It regulates the tightness of the reflection telling the shader how much diffusion the reflected light is subjected to.

In scientific terms predating the advent of CGI directly reflected light is traditionally referred to as a 'specular reflection'.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specular_reflection
Hence the term 'specular' was opted for by Bui Tuong Phong, Jim Blinn and co when they made their famous shader implementations back in the 70's.
The 'metalness' regulates how much light is reflected in the same direction of the viewer making it analogous to the 'specular' under older shader models.

Depending on who wrote your particular PBR shader 'roughness' may be called 'smoothness' or 'gloss'.
And 'Metalness' may be called 'Reflectivity' or 'Specularity'.

Personally I much prefer the traditional terms 'specular' and 'gloss' over 'metalness' and 'roughness'.
Part because they sound very kindergarten and doesn't roll off the tongue as nicely, partly because I suspect they're somewhat condescendingly chosen
because it was believed too many artists would be confused by specular and gloss acting differently in PBR than they did in legacy shaders.
Partly because it's useless for an artist to sit and think of textures in terms of the chemical composition of a material and to what degree
it is a transition metal as opposed to "how shiny is thing?".

Personally I just think they added confusion and made explaining the phenomena much more difficult.

>> No.703412

>>703409
That is I think most artists would be able to understand BPR more easily if we explained that we're now dealing with the entire specular reflection as opposed to suggesting it's there by placing down a "fake" specular highlight.

>> No.703413
File: 570 KB, 934x723, help.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

blenderlet here, what's a good way to mirror components of a character's body (that are separate meshes) that won't fuck me up when I animate them?

here the floating ear things are linked objects that share data, but I still have to manually move/rotate them. hesitant to use grouping and mirror modification because of the animation thing

is the best way to do this truly just to link the meshes and manually flip/mirror them so they can move independently with propagated mesh changes, or am I googling the wrong thing?

>> No.703416

>>703413
Not a blendbro but what I'd do is model it any way I wanted, and then once finished detach the pieces and place some new transforms for all the parts I wanted to animate and simply attach the geometry to those as needed.

>> No.703419

>>703413
Mirroring shouldn't be an issue for animation. After you've finished making the model, you should combine the meshes together into one mesh before binding it to the skeleton - at that point there's no mirroring going on anymore and you can animate both sides independently.

>> No.703421
File: 202 KB, 1988x1388, zremesh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

anyone able to help me understand zremesher and why its turning out like this?
>inb4 just do manual topology yourself
sure
but im new to zbrush and trying to understand the tool for when to use it and when not to, i have no problem doing it myself

i just think this is such a drastic change, difference on an almost symmetrical model just brought straight voer from MD

>> No.703422

>>703421
on a whim i just smashed the zremesh button a few more times and ended up with this
is that the idea of what you do with zremesh, just keep trying to new iterations until you get something good?

im using 2019 btw, so i also have the option of the legacy(2018) version of zremesh but the 2019 seems a lot better

>> No.703423
File: 176 KB, 1642x1366, 213442131.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>703422
forgot second remesh try pic

>> No.703424
File: 279 KB, 160x160, she cookk me.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>703419
ok, that makes a lot more sense. i should probably look at a complete model -> animate tutorial before i go much further. ty

>> No.703425

>>703419
You don't wanna do a skinbind tho unless you need blended weights. a mechanic thing like say a tank+turret is better done as separate meshes that are linked together to form a hierarchy and you use the transforms themselves to animate it.

>> No.703426

>>703425
For the purpose of a game (which is what that anon is) it's better to keep things at a minimum number of draw calls by combining meshes when practical. Depending on the engine I don't think you can even import animations that use raw transform animation instead of a skeleton.

>> No.703428

>>703426
>>703425
From what I know you can emulate transform linkings with a bone for each mesh. They'll all be floating objects though.
fuck it I'm doing it my original way

>> No.703429

Is blender still the default free modelling software? Used Max and Maya my whole life but now I need something free, is blender still the thing I need?

>> No.703432

Henning and Morten from Flipped Normals here, so one of the most common mistakes that we see all of the time is reading this in my voice.

>> No.703445

>>703429
Yes, as far as I know Blender doesn't even have any free competitors worth mentioning.

>> No.703452

>>703421
>>703423

Auto retopo will always leave you with a higher poly count, you can do guides for zremesher but if you are sitting there drawing them on (and fighting with edges) your time would be better spent doing manual retopo.
Trick to that is start realllly low density, ring edges with loops, fill in the middle. adding edge loop as needed to get things to line up.
After base topology is in either run a smooth or manually dump more edge loops where they are needed.
Shouldn't spend more than 30 mins get that bra done.
Will take less time than messing with settings in zremesher, trying, changing settings,trying,adding guide curves,trying etc...

>> No.703466

>>703432

I would buy something from their store if I didn't have to give my address. Wtf is that about.

>> No.703477

>>703466
>Wtf is that about.
The law.

>> No.703490

>>703432
your channel fucking sucks bro

>> No.703601

Do you think that this is a good path for learning modelling? https://cgcookie.com/flow/modeling-in-blender

>> No.703613
File: 235 KB, 1452x1016, envelopes.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How do you copy the envelope data from one bone to another in 3DS Max's skin modifier? I try selecting the bone, saying "Copy" in envelope properties, selecting the second bone and saying "paste" and nothing changes, it just ignores my paste. I want to get the envelope data from the left leg bone and paste it to overwrite the envelope data for the opposite right leg bone, then use mirror mode to flip it so it's on the right bone's side and the envelopes are symmetrical

>> No.703640

>>703613
Mirror mode acts like symmetry and not like mirror modifier. It looks at each bone's coordinates in the scene and determines a bone on the other side of the 'mirror'. Envelope properties are only used for auto weighing, I guess because I never used that tab. If your bones are set up correctly then after pressing 'Mirror Mode', bones and verts will be colored green,blue and red if they're in the middle. Then you choose whether to paste left->right or right->left (use the 'paste X to Y verts' button)

>> No.703688
File: 94 KB, 518x747, edge loop merge.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Which one is better placement for the edge merge, thigh or armpit?

>> No.703699

What's the best program for a complete beginner to start in? It's probably in the readme that's pinned, but that's been deleted.

>> No.703704

I am doing an office scene in blender which is a bit stylized.
I am moving to texturing now but I want to make some objects have their lights but those lights should not affect other objects.
How do I proceed?
I searched gooble for selective lights but did not find any satisfying/workable toot.

>> No.703707
File: 1.22 MB, 2318x1578, light path.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>703704
If you're using Cycles, just use the "is camera ray" from the light path node (input>light path) in your material as a mix factor.
So basically you can control what the camera "sees" and what actually interacts in your scene.

So for example, a blue metallic ball emitting pink light. You can do all sorts of stuff with it.

In your case, I'd just make the camera see the lights you want, and mix it with a black emission, so it's not actually emitting anything.

>> No.703713

>>703688

Armpit. Those terminations shade badly.

>> No.703715

>>703707
I am using eevee because of potato pc.
I am a complete noob and learning as i go.
What you suggested is kinda advanced for me. I really thought I have to just check some boxes like visibility, shadows, etc. but damn.
I spent some time trying to figure it out on my own but didn't find anything.
I will try your method with cycles.
I really just want objects to have their own individual light but have their shadows overlap each other.

>> No.703763

>>703715
It works with Eevee too.
It's literally not advanced (you're mixing 2 nodes), and I just showed you how to do it. It's just as "involved" as checking a visibility box.
Make the pink color in the image's emission node black, and change the principled one to emission or whatever your using for the lights on your mesh.
There you go.

>> No.703774

Is there a convenient self-contained setup that allows me to select and pivot an individual object from multiple different spots on the fly? IE being able to conveniently rotate a pyramid on each of its points.

The closest solution I know is having some locators attached to the object and then setting one to parent each time I want to use it, but obviously that's an entire couple steps more than would be ideal if I plan on switching between pivots frequently.

>> No.703783

>>699342
What is a good animation workflow? I take forever to animate, and none of it is all too good.

>> No.703785

Is there any reason I shouldn't triangulate my mesh as soon as I am finished with it to make certain everything will deform as it should when I begin rigging it? I see no point in keeping any squares when the game engine is going to triangulate it anyway.

>> No.703791

>>703197
But I need proper wireframe

>> No.703823

>>703785
while rigging you may find a triangle that need to be flipped the other way, so it's better to keep it quaded as long as possible since that makes things easier for you, the human.

>> No.703871

Why do my models in zbrush have pixelated/jagged/rough edges? Every time I try to make alpha from mesh the resulting alpha's edges are horrible.

>> No.703882

>>703871

Document resolution is more important than poly count.

>> No.703887

Anyone know of a good way to bake trimsheet normals in Substance Painter?

I've got a trimsheet all modeled and stuff, but when I go into SP to bake normals onto a plane, it all gets fucked up. I imagine because everything is at different depths and stuff with the actual geometry. Where am I supposed to put the plane? Behind everything, in front, or intersecting?

>> No.703902
File: 64 KB, 768x1024, WhatsApp Image 2019-10-01 at 6.53.53 PM.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is there any website in which i can request for a 3d model to make? i'm willing to pay.

>> No.703927

Are there any tricks to "reset" yourself when you've looked at your model for so long that you can't tell if what you're doing is improving it or not?
Also is this an actual issue people have or am I just retarded?

>> No.703930

>>703927
Its called taking a break anon.
Go do something else for a few days and not think about modelling.
Or just step back from your monitor every now and then to look at it all at once.

>> No.703952

Are there any tutorial series that go through "so easy a monkey can do it" to "how is this even possible" levels of work?

>> No.703955

>>703952
I don't know of a structured tutorial series that goes there a step at a time, but Arrimus has tons of videos ranging from easy shit to super impressive.

>> No.703967

Anybody got recommendations for auto rigging tools in Maya? I know how to rig fairly well from scratch but it's so fucking tedious to rig ik switch setups, bendy joints, ribbon splines etc.
I've been trying out Advanced Skeleton but it crashes so often i'm ready to abandon it.
I gave rapid rig modular a go with a torrent from cgpeers, but it doesn't work with Maya 2019 and i don't really want to spend 100 dollars on it.

>> No.703972

>>703967
mgear's been getting a lot of development lately

>> No.704048

>>703967
there is this maya add on for $30 https://www.3dtoall.com/products/ikmax-maya/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=WABa0_tH7Pg if you get it please share it in a anonfile link here or upload on cgpeers, I've been wanting to try it but I'm poor. I think you can even buy and return for your money in 24 Hours and if it doesn't need a licence or anything then you could keep it anyway. it suppose to work on Maya versions 2014 to 2019

>> No.704053

>>703887

Behind. Maybe use a cage.

>> No.704115

Does opensubdiv have any drawbacks? I see Arrimus get away with topology that I would have to tweak a lot using standard catmull-clark, I'm thinking of switching from Blender to 3DS Max just for the edit poly modifier and opensubdiv.

>> No.704123

Anyone know of a good model format to export vert alpha too that dors not require me to apply each texture as its own material?
Im making models for old games which obviously dont support materials so I never use them. I want to start using vert alpha since it was recently added to blender but I dont want to spend extra time applying textures and materials when it does nothing for my model and only serves to interrupt and lengthen my workflow.

>> No.704127

>>703972
Cool this looks close to what i'm after; a tool to build modular rig components without having to dig too far into the scripting side of things in MEL.

>>704048
I saw this before but it kinda looks like pajeet trash. From the comment replies on their youtube demo for it, it's only really useful for bipeds and all it does is place joints at the average position of a vertex position, which Maya now does natively in 2019.

>> No.704129

>>704127
>it's only really useful for bipeds and all it does is place joints at the average position of a vertex position, which Maya now does natively in 2019.
ok I guess I'll try out 2019 version then.

>> No.704139
File: 24 KB, 229x212, profilepic.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How do you demonstrate rigging skill /3/? Do you let them download your rigs and analyze them, or do you post it in a portfolio, or should they be they part of a reel?

>> No.704140

>>704053
How would you set up a cage for a plane though? Just use a box?

>> No.704146

Does anyone know how to merge an animation in the Shape Key Editor into an action, or otherwise some other way to get Shape Key Animations made in Blender to show up in Unity?

>> No.704189
File: 290 KB, 498x341, 1408684317529.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

if arnold is shipped with 3ds max and maya now, is there even need to learn Vray? I remember Vray being popular some years ago but isnt it irrevelant now?

>> No.704192

>>704189
If you're archviz, or intend to buy assets for Max, then vray is gonna make your life easier. If you're intending to make everything yourself, and/ or using Maya, then Arnold is simpler.

>> No.704201
File: 718 KB, 1335x904, 1570583029820.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

how do I make this look more agressive the legs look a bit plane and empty

>> No.704202
File: 66 KB, 627x836, bocian.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>704201
> legs look a bit plane and empty
dont add things because something looks empty its always bad design to do that, try changing what you have instead to adding on to of that, the leg looks straight and static, if you want to make it look agressive, add curve to it look at human legs from side

its like:
round/flat
knee
flat/round
ankle
think about proportions , exagerate them, when you make a curve never make peak in 50%, make it in 70% to add dynamism, think about counterbalance

>> No.704222
File: 73 KB, 1968x1021, plane.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>704140

Just another offset plane.

>> No.704310

>>704202
thank you! it helped

>> No.704312

I know of cgpeers and gfxpeers, but is there any other sites for CG tutorials and softwares?

>> No.704555

>>704312
yes there are many more but usually they have tutorial split in parts and llinks to some hosting where you have to wait after every download unless you buy premium. if you cant find something on cgpeers chances are you wont findit elswhere. at least for free and unless you speak chinese or russian, they have some forumswith stuff but its hard to gen into if you dontspeak language

>> No.704686
File: 1.18 MB, 1822x773, shoulder_choice.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

what shoulder do I use? wich one do you think fits best with the rest of the body and how should I modify it to look even better

>> No.704755

>>699342
I just want to texture the mortar I mad but the UV is messing up. Ive tried marking seams but its still messing up. The cleanup menu isnt like it used to be.

>> No.704758
File: 706 KB, 1916x1016, mcmortar.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>704755
forgot pic

>> No.704770

>>704758
You are hitting U to unwrap again after marking the seams, right? Also show the edit view with everything unselected so we can see where your seams are.

>> No.704788
File: 613 KB, 1909x1021, BaseBlender.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>704770
Here's the base of the mortar. I've cleaned it up and removed doubles a thousand time yet it looks like they're still there.

>> No.704839 [DELETED] 

>>699342
If I'm only interested in animating porn, which should I use?
Blender or SFM?

>> No.704861
File: 114 KB, 540x230, 1570953308032.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>704788
Those aren't doubles, there aren't enough seams so some parts of the unwrap are becoming squished. You can start by adding seams to the rim of these things I marked in green.

>> No.704930
File: 567 KB, 1908x1009, baseblender1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>704861
Here it is now

>> No.704934
File: 62 KB, 485x151, 1571032245027.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>704930
Now you need seams right here. UV unwrapping is like reverse origami, you need to make cuts in the places that let you lay it out perfectly flat or as flat as possible. Try duplicating the object and using smart UV project on the duplicate, that'll give you an idea of where cuts need to be made.

>> No.705413

>>704686
The third best balances the distribution of mechanical detail.

>> No.705557
File: 32 KB, 380x308, EHEQpe9XYAYD_XS.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

how i make a 3d flat model like this one https://gamebanana.com/skins/132707 in blender/other 3d program?

>> No.705579

>>705557
Start with a plane and get it to the shape you want while keeping everything planar, add your texture of choice, then rig it.

>> No.705601
File: 508 KB, 814x950, MBD.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>699342
I cant seem to be able to remove overlapping faces

>> No.705744
File: 45 KB, 1081x645, blenderissue.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ive finished my UV and ive got it into substance painter yet I cant seem to paint the mesh it disappears also the UV looks very different when I got into substance painter.

>> No.705792
File: 215 KB, 1200x900, 1561304212723.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

anyone knows where is this from?

>> No.705795

>>705792
Vagrant Story

>> No.705812
File: 59 KB, 1766x1578, qqd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

this is probably the most retarded question on this board now, but how the fuck do I intersect these two objects into one? the boolean operation in maya just deletes one of the roofs

>> No.705814

>>705812
I mean merge

>> No.705890
File: 39 KB, 726x393, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>705812
You probably have found it by now but there's a popup when you use a boolean operation. That, or use the options box. Do a boolean union.

>> No.705892

>>699342
Any pointers for topology to model anatomically correct models? Also are there any good courses for these kinds of detail and their topology?

>> No.705993

According to their troubleshooting guide, Substance Painter doesn't play well with custom shells and can crash on saving if you have them installed. I'm not sure if my saving crashes are from OpenShell or from something else, anybody else have issues with OpenShell/Classic Shell?

>> No.706004
File: 4 KB, 273x407, dotbrush.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

so in blender I pressed something and now when I try to texture paint using the dot brush, this line is behind it and the dots appear at the end of the line, not my cursor. what did I press? how do I fix it?

>> No.706054

>>705993
This is getting real fucky, I'm getting save corruption, deletion (it deleted my secondary save that I hadn't even saved over, and corrupted the other save that I did save over), and BSODs, when Substance Painter has been open for a few hours straight. Would have lost a lot of progress if I hadn't saved everything I made as smart materials. Error code 0x0000001a, could it just be the page file running out of room (only 8 gigs of ram)? It's increased now since this last crash and reboot.

>> No.706415

I just finished Blender Guru's 2.8 donut tutorial.
My ultimate goal is to do character animation and potentially video game modeling. Where should I head next?

>> No.706429

>>706415
This gives a pretty good overview of modeling, rigging, and animation tools. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFt_AvWsXl0fEx02iXR8uhDsVGhmM9Pse

>> No.706696
File: 66 KB, 329x344, flatnigga.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

ok when i try to symmetrize my rig but is placed in the left side instead of right (yes i have named my bones with .L) also does my rigging looks ok?

another question:does the 2 sided material shader will apply to the final model/product ?

>> No.706702

>>706696
If I'm understanding your wireframe right, you have knee and elbow joints but the model itself doesn't have any geometry there. The position of the knees/elbows will get completely ignored since your triangles go straight from the hip to the foot, and shoulder to the hand.

>> No.706739
File: 584 KB, 1213x440, 1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hey fellas. I'm modeling some pipes and when I'm exporting to marmoset and substance painter I'm getting weird parts of the model with dark polygons.

On closer inspection these are not shadows or part of any map but an actual part of the model that's just darker than the rest for some reason.

I have individual poly groups assigned but when I tried to assign everything in Max to a single polygroup for troubleshooting the shaded areas appeared in the viewport.

Also rotating the viewport around makes parts of the affected area shade really weird.

The normals all seem fine to me and I've tried flipping and unifying them with the normal modifier

I'm including an upload of the file if anyone wants to take a look.

https://mega.nz/#!1652VIyC!e8SDjOC3PU7byTCtEDhYnkOSLfp0NZ_nae9PvqRj_OU